z

Young Writers Society

Did I do the right thing?

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:54 pm
KevinL says...

I received an email recently that I am set to be published for my piece 'Goodnight Irene' on January 2010 in Conceit magazine.

Now I know, via Duotrope, that this magazine pays on occassion but I'm not sure if my piece is one of those occasions lol.

So I sent them an email clarifying a few things like it's a reprint (which they allow) and also some confusions about the title. I also asked them if I was going to get paid for writing this piece.

Question: Did I do the right thing?

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:46 pm
Blink says...

You asked questions; you have that right. January 2010 is a long way from now. If you want to pull it out of the magazine at any point, you have, once again, the right. So don't worry. ^^

But you're getting published! Congrats! =)

-Blinky
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:49 pm
Sureal says...

Doubt you've done anything to annoy them.

Probably best if you don't get your hopes up about getting paid, though. I can't imagine them paying for a reprint.
I wrote the above just for you.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:39 pm
ThisIsAUserName says...

It never hurt anyone (except countless people, and as I've been told, cats) to be curious. At least, when it comes to this kind of information-receiving. I would have done the exact same thing, but yeah, like Sureal said, don't get your hopes up.

Still, good job! That's really cool.
In me thou see'st the glowing of such fire,
That on the ashes of his youth doth lie,
As the deathbed whereon it must expire,
Consumed by that which it was nourished by.
(Exerpt from Shakespearean Sonnet Number 73)

I have writer's block. I can't write. It is the will of the gods. Now, I must alphabetize my spice rack.
— Neil Gaiman