z

Young Writers Society

To Change, or Not to Change

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:29 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

Okay, in this publishing book that I've been reading it says that you need to have your priorities straight before you get published. For example, do you want to just get published no matter what gets sent out there? Do you want quality work? Do you want to be happy with your work before you send it out?

Stuff like that.

And we all know about editors, and how they change things. So what happens if you give them your work and you don't like what they edit? What if your work doesn't have that same feeling as the original draft you wrote for some reason? Are you supposed to feel like that? Have an awful feeling like they've ruined your whole story? Would it end up being okay? Are you supposed to get over it?

I really want to know ahead of time just in case something like this happens. I'd have to decide whether to just go with what they say or put my foot down and just deny them. Or perhaps, I should give them limits on what I want them to edit?

Compromise? I should only edit what I feel is good for my story right? My story should have my voice, but what do you do if someone tells you that they want it otherwise?

-Shina
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:22 am
PhoenixBishop says...

If you pick a accomplished editor then they know what their talking about. They've been in the industry for however many years and they know what sells and what doesn't. So it is very possible you will lose parts of your story that you love, but in the long run it's probably for the best. My advice is to go with the flow unless what they ask will completely undermine you and your writing. Just remember editors are an authors best friend they want you to succeed that's why they are so hard on you.

If you are absolutely determined to keep your story as it is and like none of their opinions. Well that's what self-publishing is for.
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:56 am
lilymoore says...

A good editor will work with you and listen to what you have to say about what you wrote. If you don’t like the change that they’ve made (and you have a valid reason for not wanting to make the change) then you have every right to not want to make a change. But at the same time, editors know what they’re doing. It is there job after all. So listen to things from there point of view as well and take what they’re saying to you into consideration.

It’s just like here on YWS. When you critique something, you are giving an editor-like opinion. You’re giving the corrections that you feel would best help the story florish. But you also feel the opinion of others on the site. If you don’t want to make the change and you have a good reason not to make that change, then you won’t.

Does that make sense? I hope so and I hope my opinion could help.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

No person can be a great leader unless he takes genuine joy in the successes of those under him.
— W. A. Nance