z

Young Writers Society

A Writing Journal

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:49 pm
View Likes
GryphonFledgling says...

A while ago (I need to start again myself) I kept a file on my computer where, every day, I would date an entry and ramble on about my writing. All plot twists, character traits, events, etc. that I may have thought up over the last 24 hours were put down, as well as thoughts on what had already been written in the past.

It was a huge help, keeping all of my thoughts into one coherent (okay, maybe not always coherent) place, all dated so that I could pick out exactly when Bob's name became Peter and when I had that insane idea to add a whirlpool into my romantic dinner scene. (;))

I recommend this to writers, even just as a warm-up, brainstorming exercise that all those manuals suggest that we do... Maybe it would just be a short paragraph or so that you could put in your blog (which is automatically dated, making your life easier! :D)

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:07 pm
View Likes
lyrical_sunshine says...

I have a writing journal - it is very useful. i'm constantly adding to it and embellishing it, it's great for keeping track of things.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:35 pm
View Likes
Joeducktape says...

This sounds like a good idea! I find myself thinking up new plot twists in random places, but I always forget to type/write them somewhere! I think I'll try this Gryph!
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:21 am
View Likes
Leja says...

This sounds like a wonderful idea :D I'll be sure to try it sometime!

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:43 am
View Likes
chocoholic says...

Sounds great! I'm starting it now.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:44 pm
View Likes
lyrical_sunshine says...

It also keeps me entertained in science class. ;)
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:48 pm
View Likes
Gladius says...

lyrical_sunshine wrote:It also keeps me entertained in science class.

Lol. I actually started writing in my homework notebook--it definitely entertained me. XD
:backtotopic:
Hmm, I've heard of writing journals, but I've never tried them...I think it might end up like my personal journal, though, where I'll just stop writing in it cause I have no time! >_>
When Heroes fall and the Sacred Blade is captured, can Evil be stopped?~The Wings of Darkness

I'm also ZeldaMoogle on Fanfiction.net!

"Funny is a formula for which there are a million variables, and it is impossible to backtrack unless, possibly, you make a living out of it."~Rosey Unicorn

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:17 am
View Likes
chocoholic says...

Well, I've been doing for 4 days, and it's great! I've never had a place like it, where I just write down all of my ideas and projects and stuff.

Thanks Gryphon!
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:02 pm
View Likes
snap says...

lyrical_sunshine wrote:It also keeps me entertained in science class. ;)

Haha, I wrote my entire last novel in my high school math class. :) And, no, I'm not kidding. :) And somehow, miraculously, I still passed. With not too bad a grade, either. :)

This sounds like a really good idea! I'm going to start mine today. :) I also heard someone suggest (though I can't remember who) to write a journal from your characters perspective. I thought that might be an interesting idea, too. ;)
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:15 am
Rakun says...

Sometimes I get writer's block with English language. However, the music always guide me (also the writings prompts on google results). So, it is my method: Listen music while write journal.
Don't matter what, just WRITE!

Do you YWS?

I am and always will be optimist, the hoper of far-flung hopes, the dreamer of improbable dreams.
— 11th Doctor