z

Young Writers Society

How DO you write?

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:32 pm
View Likes
Fool says...

I tend to write Fantasy but im branching out into fiction/action stuff. To prepare, i know the start, i wont start writing without the start, and i know sort of where it's going to end, what happens inbetween is up to my characters. I definatly have to be in the mood for writing, some days i could sit all day and type away, and some days i write about 3 lines in an hour, depends on how im feeling, but i try to write a little everyday. My characters are all parts of me, but the first story i wrote, i based the main character on somebody elses, from a different book, that failed miserably, so i came up with my own people. I tend to go fairly deep into emotions, several of my characters suffer from emotional stress or trauma, it helps with how they react in different situations.

We never had a Gifted and Talented at my school. I only wrote one story for school, but it was short, only about 5 pages in tiny handwriting, but i felt uncomfortable doing it because no one knew that i wrote, and everybody else in class was writing a fiction about teenage problems or action stories, and i was the only one writing a fantasy. I got a good mark though, and my teacher said she liked it but it never went any further. Writing for school was never an option, only three of my friends know im a writer and they have been supportive, but school gave me nothing other than a panicy feeling that my story was not going to get a good mark.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

I don't suffer from stress. I am a carrier.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:40 pm
View Likes
Sam says...

Or just the fact that you know someone's eventually gonna read it messes it up. Here, I don't know any of you personally so I don't really care. But at school it's a different story.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:46 pm
View Likes
Fool says...

EXACTLY! you managed to sum that up in a sentance while i stumbled over it in a paragraph
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

I don't suffer from stress. I am a carrier.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:09 pm
AlicePhell says...

I'm my own genre. I write fiction, but stories usually include: fantasy, romance, action, mystery, humor, and tragedy. (Don't all good stories have multiple aspects?)

My "prep" varies a lot depending on the story. I tried outlining once, and it backfired because though I hadn't written the story, I felt it was done because it was all outlined. I have a tendency to write scenes out of order. If I have one in mind, I'll write it out. Maybe it fits, maybe it doesn't, maybe it's more of a side story for later, but at least I have it written down.

My characters are a pain in the rump. For me, characters are the easiest part of writing. They come to me too easily so I go into overload and can't use them all. Some characters start in one story, but evolve to be moved into another entirely.

Organization, not my strong point. My head is a mess of stories and how I decide to get them on paper
Everything can lead to an adventure, I just try to write those adventures down

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:22 pm
shadowraiki says...

I generally write blindly. I'll plan a general idea of what I want to get talked about in my mind and then write around that concept for the chapter. For example, if I want to have a character introduce themself to another, I'll begin with an action to get it started, some dialouge, the two of them doing something together to create a bond, then the ending. That makes it sound a bit simple, but I tend to add too much in between. I know how a story will begin and end and in theory, I could make the story just that. But a 2 page book wouldn't be interesting now would it?
If words are just letters put together, why do we decide on what they mean?

I step away from the grammar to review the story.

I don't do poetry.

Reviews: 1
Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:39 pm
ZeroKelvin says...

The only thing I can say about my prefered genre is that it always inhabits the blunt end of fantasy. I will draw in threads of horror, romance, sci-fi, historical fiction, or anything else I want, but at its core it requires a willing suspension of disbelief to on the part of the reader, and doesn't pull any punches. For instance, my most recent fantasy story has several scenes in the trenches in Flanders, but I don't skirt around the issues. Sure, there are quiet moments, but I refuse to skimp on the pain, fear, madness and randomness of the trenches. If a character has to die, they will die.

My characters become mine when I finally give up trying to understand them and let them go. At that point I realise I can finally write about them properly. I make a point of avoiding telling you how the character feels. I will show you the character, and if you can see it, you can see it.

I used to be embarrassed when I was a conscious incompetent. Now, I am confident enough in my writing that I refuse to feel shame or fear when people read my work.
"He who fights with monsters should take care lest he in turn become a monster...
...And if you stare for too long into an abyss then the abyss stares back into you."
- Friederich Nietschze.

Phn'glui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'Lyeh Wgah'nagl Fhtagn!
Ia Cthulhu! Ia Dagon!

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:54 pm
LosPresidentes says...

I write however I feel, I guess most of my genre end up as a twist of Medieval/Scifi based loosely on human society.
The first time I creatively put pen to paper I wrote a wonderful story about the lives of flies.
I quit

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.
— Dr. Seuss