z

Young Writers Society

How DO you write?

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:35 am
View Likes
Sam says...

I was gonna call myself Gene Krupa but oh well...(inside joke!)

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:35 am
View Likes
Elelel says...

I have such a cursed common name! (Lucy) It's not bad as names go, but there's always another one lurking behind you somewhere, just waiting for someone to call to them.

Ahem... anyway... Yep. I agree with Crysi, you have to make your characters feel things as deeply as a normal person would. That's what I try to do.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

Reviews: 3
Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:40 pm
View Likes
Lingering_Shadow says...

I write fiction, focusing on realistic situation, lives, etc. But not necessary reality since I think in general writing should be an escape from reality, in a sense.
And I despise outlines/drafts and all that. I just sit down at my desk, pile of paper, pen in hand, coffee and music. Then I write, in my mind acting as though it is the final draft. Though of course it never turns out how I exactly want it to so I do have to re-do.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:16 am
Elelel says...

Well, some people don't like writing outlines or plans. I do though.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:49 am
IceCreamMan says...

well, i used to like to write poetry and fantasy when I was younger. Now i haven't written much except for school in the past year (we have to write a lot for english though) , but I want to start writting horror. So far my only horror story is Preternatural Tranquillity which is posted on this site. We had a unit on horror writting in school and thats when I read all different kinds of horror and learned styles of writting it. I normally don't outline, i just write what comes to my head. In deeper stories, after I have the characters developed and the main points of the story decided, its fairly simple to write because the characters have set ways that they react to situations by then, so all I have to do is go with the flow.
Clementine: This is it, Joel. It’s going to be gone soon.
Joel: I know.
Clementine: What do we do?
Joel: Enjoy it.”
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:40 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

A lot of my stories are about murders. I normally just feel like writing and see where it goes, but for a bigger story I write a list of events that I try to stick to. My characters are mine because...they just are. I've never, ever taken a character from another book, with intent. I like to write in first person, so I go as deep as I can.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:08 pm
AstrangedbeaR says...

generally when writing i usually come up with the title first which is kinda wierd. I've only ever planned a novel once, that i havnt started working on chapter by chapter, which kinda took some time to do.
when an idea pops into my head, i jump onto my laptop/computer and jot it down but i dont work on it, or sometimes i just write non stop and then see what i have written to improve on, kinda like carsnadguitar77.
characters are usually a different version of me. one of my characters, megan richardson who i feel really intouch with i guess i put some people i see, movements and actions that define who they are into her thats makes her very powerful.
i see characters in my head as a cartoon that develops into humans lol. (sounds kinda perculair, but oh well).
when i was young i meanly wrote horror stories but then i found myself through stories based on life, some romance, crime and thrillers. i guess i tried to hard with horror and couldnt really tap my finger onto it when i wanted to scare or thrill someone. however finding my way through stories distant from that catergory made me feel more intouch with writing because i found what i prefered to write.
in poetry all my poetry is based on what others do not see in real life and around us, and hidden meaning in certain things we take for graunteed, i have a love for the that type of genre expecially in poetry. :)
*AstrangedbeaR*

1258 Reviews

Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:48 pm
Sam says...

*looks back* woah...that was like one of the first things I posted...:P Now, my characters are mostly intensified versions of me. They're either more of a headcase or smarter or...yeah. I take certain traits and blow 'em up.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:43 am
View Likes
Rei says...

I do the same thing, Sam. But mainly because I like to write stories about things I dealt with growing up, so putting myself into the character is almost inevitable.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

1258 Reviews

Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:50 am
View Likes
Sam says...

I lead the boring, normal life of a typical pre-teen. I'm completely sheltered from pain and hurt and death and...I make myself characters that live much different lives. My main character lives in 18th century britain/america, where death and sex are very normal, acceptable aspects of life [for a teenager]. It's self-exploration, if you put yourself in new situations. Would I fight back? Would I run? Would I plop down and cry? Satisfying and fun, if you ask me. All in the comforts of your very own computer chair. :D

- Demetri Martin

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:03 am
Rincewind says...

Pretty much I have never underestimated the potential of my imagination.
In all truth everything we write takes some form from what we feel and who we are as people, but it is your imagination that takes those characteristics and gives them new form.
I like to use real life INSTANCES that I have experienced, only twist them up with funky morals and larger than life characters.
Sometimes its nice to see how would react to a situation if you had a magic wand or a semi automatic in your hand.

As far as pre planning before writing I tend not to write that sort of stuff down. It bogs you down for paying attention to what you are working on NOW. If you pay to much attention to what the grand scheme is, i find it can cause you to write less impressive things about smaller scenes.

I am writing stories which I have planned out in twenty chapters, and I am writing ones that are going as they go. I find no matter what I still get writers block sometimes.
~The bandit’s body slumped to the ground, knees hitting first,followed by the rest.His dead weight pushed dust into the air in a swirling cloud.The blood flowed from his head,splicing like river canals,delaying slightly on pebbles before flowing on through the street.~

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:08 am
Incandescence says...

I have to answers for this, both of which are dodging the question.

On the one hand, I write only what I know, what I feel, what I see.

On the other, more complex hand, I write with the idea of fusing Lacanian psychoanalysis into stream-of-conscious hyperreality all the time. And it doesn't matter if this is achieved, only that I am striving for it; if I am ever achieve such a thing, then I would automatically be forced to shift my paradigm to which I write, lest I wallow in the depths of stagnation.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:15 am
Rincewind says...

I think you could say all that stuff in a lot less words and not seem so smug and brainy.
I'm quite sure three quaters to a hundred percent of the people here aren't going to know what you are saying.
It seems like you are using that language more for yourself than anything.
Lacanian psychoanalysis? 80% of this sites member are still in grade school man.

Way off topic, but I had to say it.
Take no offense. Just, if you have something important to say, say it, dont spray it.
~The bandit’s body slumped to the ground, knees hitting first,followed by the rest.His dead weight pushed dust into the air in a swirling cloud.The blood flowed from his head,splicing like river canals,delaying slightly on pebbles before flowing on through the street.~

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:12 pm
View Likes
Rei says...

Cheers to that, Rincewind.

I dislike writing down outlines, too. One of the reasons for that is because stories that are longer than twenty pages don't come fully formed all at once. Anyone who claims they can churn out a novel every month is a hack(who can type that fast anyway) You discover things along the way. The landscape could introduce a new source of conflict you hadn't thought of before, or you could find a flaw in the antagonist's plans. As long as you know where it's all heading in the end, the make it up as you go along method often works. It usually requires more drafts so everything will be consistant, but I think that the final version is a lot more interesting and much more emotionally charged if you let the characters and landscape speak to you instead of just playing god and deciding what will happen before it all happens.
Last edited by Rei on Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

1258 Reviews

Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:01 pm
View Likes
Sam says...

I do pretty much zip planning, too. I write my best stuff at like 2 a.m. when I'm mostly thinking subconciously.

That's why all the stuff I write at school is pretty much junk. I have to plan. I can't improvise. And it would be pretty weird to start meditating during English. :P

- Demetri Martin

The things you are passionate about are not random, they are your calling.
— Fabienne Fredrickson