Young Writers Society

How DO you write?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:22 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

I switched from fantasy cause it just wasn't my thing to speacialize in, I deal better with 'real' situations and 'real' people. I kinda want to concentrate on developing my characters and not creating worlds and other creatures. Its not as though I will never write another fantasy story again, I just want to concentrate on reality type stuff at least for the moment.

Which is exactly why I do fantasy. The trick with fantasy is to make it real. Sure, we all know it's not real, but you have to make the reader think so. I like a challenge. I'm not saying writing real life is easier, but it's all there for you. Fantasy gives you more creativity, and allows you to make your own "real" world.

But I know it's not for everyone.

I don't actually create any creatures for my fantasy novels, I find them boring and all of them have been done or done again several million times. I just use humans, but in a different world. And my version of creating a world is drawing a cool map and then noting down some cool points about places that could have an effect on the story, not the whole history.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:44 pm
Skye says...

I agree with Firestarter, I write fantasy for the challange and the feeling of making something completely different that actually seems real.
Oh, and there is the fact that I spend most of my waking moments in a daydream, so I'm not really the best person to write "real" fiction. :roll:
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:54 pm
Tessitore says...

Interesting, I must say.

I write fantasy (which isn't all... I dunno... elf-ey and stuff, more... dark) to try and make the reader think "Hm. I know this ISN'T real... but it could be, couldn't it? It makes sense."

I like to incorporate science (generally biology) into my writing, giving the scientific REASON why thus-and-so creature exists and why thus-and-so creature can only come out around-this time... I'm not great at it, but I'm pretty good. My readers generally go, "Oh. Well. That DOES make sense. Kinda." Usually their reasoning why it can't BE helps me figure out HOW it COULD be. ...if that made ANY sense to you... pat yourself on the back...

*wanders away*
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:13 am
Elelel says...

Fantasy is fun, and challenging. Writing it just makes me feel... good. *walks away, misty eyed, in her own little world.*
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:21 pm
View Likes
nickelpickle says...

I really just get an idea and start writing...Afterwartds, I reread and usually find mistakes, things that could be more descriptive, etc...

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:02 pm
Meshugenah says...

fansasy. i agree with fire, the harder part of writing fantasy is making it real, and it's FUN! :D
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:36 am
View Likes
Ego says...

I tend to write action stuff, especially my currently 130 paga novel (in progress) Chronicles of the Dhampir...

Modern Vampires tied in with mythology (of vampires)

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:15 am
Crysi says...

:roll: EVERYONE'S doing chronicles.. :roll:

OOOH THAT SOUNDS REALLY GOOD!! LEMME READ IT NOW LOL!!!!!! :lol:

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:46 pm
Ego says...

part of it's up right now...in the action/adventure section

I'm sure my chronicles have been around longer than most...almost five years!

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:10 pm
View Likes
Sam says...

I'm a big history geek so I write mostly historical fiction...and it just comes to me, like once in math class so I scribbled it all over my notes...*sigh* I never plan my stuff, just think about it a lot in my head. I'm not excactly the organizational genius, so planning just makes me confused. (and it's required in school and that's what stinks) My stories are pretty much very stuffy and happy but every once in a while you get that piece that makes you go 'Oh my god did I write this?' I'd like to write more seriously emotion-wise, so if anybody's got tips...

594 Reviews

Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:49 pm
Crysi says...

I've found that when characters look back on events or are just sitting in a meadow, pondering about something, the mood is much more serious. Usually I have them think about an internal conflict that they aren't showing anyone else, but it's still eating away at them. And have your characters get angry or depressed! It makes them seem more realistic and gives them more to brood about.

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:13 am
Perra says...

Tessitore wrote:I like to incorporate science (generally biology) into my writing, giving the scientific REASON why thus-and-so creature exists and why thus-and-so creature can only come out around-this time... I'm not great at it, but I'm pretty good. My readers generally go, "Oh. Well. That DOES make sense. Kinda." Usually their reasoning why it can't BE helps me figure out HOW it COULD be. ...if that made ANY sense to you... pat yourself on the back...

Gosh. This just now hit me. :roll: It's gotta be hard to give scientific reasons for a creature's existance(I'm sure that I can't have just realized this, probably just seems like it did. We can all hope...). So, how do ya do it? I'm really interested, being kinda interested in certain sciences(probably would have been my best class these last few years if I'd just done all the homework.) Of course, you could be using sciences that I haven't had before or something. Let's just see....
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

87 Reviews

Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:27 am
Perra says...

Crysi wrote::roll: EVERYONE'S doing chronicles.. :roll:

I'm not. I'm a rebel!*pumps fist in the air* WHOO-HOO!!!!!!! Ok, so I'm not really much of a rebel, but I like to do things differently. I'm doing a two-parter. Don't know what a two-parter's called, though. A Bilogy? I don't want the second story to be called a sequel, though. Implies that I planned it do to popularity or something.

And Sam, I'm a history geek, too! :mrgreen: Somethings that add a dark touch to my story are what has happened in one or three character's/characters' past(s), things that happen to the characters, the relationships of countries/kingdoms/realms, the events taking place within those countries(like, a king is dying, or there's a civil war,) and also the conditions of some places. Wait, not all of that deals with emotion.....Actually, if characters are from different places, or past through those places, it could, so that long sentence wasn't just me getting carried away....

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

594 Reviews

Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:55 am
Crysi says...

Gah, curse that 'Sam' person. I keep feeling like everyone's talking to me.. :P

87 Reviews

Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:59 am
Perra says...

Just remember you're called Crysi here! Although, I too would get confused if someone said Jesse, Jessie, or some other form of Jessica. :roll:

Need a Critique?

The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and to watch somebody else doing it wrong, without comment.
— T. H. White