z

Young Writers Society

Setting Questions

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:48 pm
Manny says...

Alright, so I've got this idea for a sci-fi story. I've decided to have it take place in Oregon. From the pictures I've seen, it looks like the perfect place. I'm trying to decide whether I should go for realistic (using an actual town), or completely imagine up a town. So what do you guys do? Do you use real towns? Take parts of real places and add your own spice? Or make it all up?

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:09 pm
norm91 says...

I'm planning on writing a story about two "twin" worlds. One fictional, I have invented two cities already - Flanodice & Zareos. And our world, using cities like London, Manchester, Munich.. off the top of my head.

So I'm using a mixture of both. Usually, I find books are more interesting using fictional places - it generates a great sense of wonder. It is up to you - if you think that you'd better focus only on the plot and not bother inventing a setting then fine. But, if you think you can cope with both tasks then great!
My upcoming novel/short story...

"Regrets" (Working title)

A man who keeps one eye on the past may learn from his mistakes, but a man who keeps both eyes directed to the past is blind.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:17 pm
Manny says...

Well, I was looking in a Reader's Digest book and saw a picture of a bridge in Oregon that instantly stood out. As soon as I saw it I knew that was where the story should take place. And I always like books more when the setting is clear, like its' own character. The setting is important to the story so I wanted to make it alive. I guess I'm just wanting to know if I should make it real or make it my own?

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:04 pm
Leja says...

I think that if there are elements that make you say "that's perfect for my story" then go ahead and use them. I'd think people would be flattered to have you include their town in a story (as most people think that their hometowns are boring and nothing happens in them).

Just don't be afraid to change around things as necessary, in which case maybe you should name it something different.

All in all, I see no reason why you can't use an existing town for at least a blueprint.

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.
— William Shakespeare