z

Young Writers Society

Confused on Sentence Structure

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:34 pm
McMourning says...

Okay, I've never really understood how to write this. I don't even know where you put the commas in. Someone, please explain it to me!

Which do you say:
A) You have no experience raising a child, let alone a girl.
B) You have no experience raising a girl, let alone a child.
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:37 pm
Emerson says...

A.

You did A correct. "Child" is a general term. "girl" is more specific. The latter choice, no, because you're becoming more general, and not specific.

That is something you'd say to a drunk father who is a women hater, "You have no right to raise a child, [you're being general] let alone a girl" with the use of girl you become more specific. This sentence structure is real fun because it is pretty, and I love the way it works ;-) You can totally soccer punch someone's weakness by becoming more specific.

Hope that helped.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:49 pm
McMourning says...

Thanks!
I thought was how you write it, but I wasn't positive.
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:14 pm
snap says...

I concur.

I've always wanted to use that word....
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:13 am
Snoink says...

McMourning wrote:Okay, I've never really understood how to write this. I don't even know where you put the commas in. Someone, please explain it to me!

Which do you say:
A) You have no experience raising a child, let alone a girl.
B) You have no experience raising a girl, let alone a child.

Uh... both work. It just depends which one you wnat to emphasize.

If, for instance, I have a father who has only daughters, I would use A because I want to emphasize that he can't raise girls.

If I had a father who had a mix of children and say his daughter got pregnant and joined the circus, to properly insult him I would use the latter because not only does that hit him hard that his daughter sucks, but it also says he's an inadequete father because he could never raise a child.

So while the first one emphasizes the fact he can't raise girls, the second one would be more insulting because it emphasizes that he can't raise ANY child.

My two cents.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:07 pm
Leja says...

The second one sounds strange to me; I can't really think of an instance where you might use it outside of (satirically? idk). I'd go with the first one: general to specific)

I have a Gumbie Cat in mind, her name is Jennyanydots; Her coat is one of the tabby kind,with tiger stripes and leopard spots.
— T.S. Eliot, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats