z

Young Writers Society

how to write short stories.

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:38 pm
DragonWriter says...

Do you trouble writing fantastic stories? Do you ever get dreadful cases of writers block. Four simple steps are needed to write the best short story that you, yourself, can imagine. Think, decide, write, and proofread are all that is needed. So, grab five sheets of lined paper, a sharp pencil, a red pen, and lets get started.

The first step is to think or brainstorm. Ask yourself what am I an expert in. Write down all ideas that pop into your head, even your silliest thoughts. Now, eliminate until you are down to one main idea. Also, during this step you have to decide on a theme. The simple choices are suspense, comedy, romance, or just plain realism. While harder choices are science fiction, historical fiction that requires thorough research and determination.

Secondly, a conflict has to be chosen. A conflict is your problem of which your main character faces or is exposed to. A skate border sees that his crush, since grade school, is about to be crushed by a speeding car. That is an example of external conflict. While an example of internal conflict would be that a boy sees his best friend stealing from his dads sports store, and his dad ask did he see the person who stole the expensive skateboard. On the contrary, please make sure the conflict can be solved in around 1-4 pages.

Now, all you do is add details to your list. Make sure your details are nice and juicy. Frequently many authors make the simple mistake of not adding enough details in their paper. Thus the paper is worth only enough to wrap dead fish in. Subsequently make your details into sentences, make your sentences into paragraphs, and make your paragraphs into one story. It is important to vary your sentences. You can make short sentences. However, you can make very long sentences, like this one, just keep in mind to allow the author a normal catch up breath every once and awhile.

Finally, proof read your paper with a red pen. Make sure to correct punition, spelling, word usage, and if you typo's. Remember that computers do not know what you are implying and can not always correct your mistakes. So always read over your paper very carefully before you turn it in. Now share your work with friends and family.

I became an good in short writing through writing short stories three times a week. I keep a blog of short stories, a small journal, and a folder of poems. On the contrary I could not have gotten my writing career this far, if not for my wonderful English Teachers, Mrs. Smith, Mrs. Burnett, and Mrs. Easler. They have encouraged me through out my life to write. I am also writing a novel and entering a poetry contest.

That is how you, yourself, can write the best story you can imagine. Remember that only four simple steps are needed, and they are Think, Decide, Write, and Proofread. Will your story win the Newberry Award?
Twilight rocks!
New Moon rules!
Eclispe kicks butt!
In coclusion, Steaphine Meyer is a rocking, ruling, and kick butt authour!
That is the TRUTH!

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:32 am
Loose says...

two things, ok?

1- this should be in the writing tips section, not non fiction

2- SPELLING!!!!!!! SPELL CHECK!!!!

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:01 pm
Writersdomain says...

Some good ideas. ^_^ While I don't think I could ever create a short story in those simple steps, but it's a good basic outline, and I'm sure it would work for other young writers.

Frequently many authors make the simple mistake of not adding enough details in their paper. Thus the paper is worth only enough to wrap dead fish in.

I must disagree. First, because I hate dead fish. Second, detail can always be added to a story and sometimes details can be intentionally left out. A story without detail has potential; it just needs to be edited.

Finally, proof read your paper with a red pen. Make sure to correct punition, spelling, word usage, and if you typo's.

Shouldn't this apply to writing tips as well? :wink:
Last edited by Writersdomain on Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:05 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

What I was thinking, WD ^_~

Dragon, here I feel I must disagree- I've always been against what I call "organized writing", but I should give it a try, anyhoo.
ohmeohmy

"The bird that would soar above the level plain of tradition and prejudice must have strong wings. It is a sad spectacle to see the weaklings bruised, exhausted, fluttering back to earth."
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening