z

Young Writers Society

Passive vs. Active Voice

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed May 30, 2007 3:53 am
jessicarabbit says...

I always hear people talking about how horrible passive voice is.

My English Teacher: Don't use passive voice. Valedictorians don't use passive voice (note to the world: I wasn't valedictorian!!)

Stephen King:Passive voice is for the weak. (from his book On Writing. Not taken word for word, but you get the idea.)

I don't understand what the big deal is. I don't think passive voice is that bad. Sure, active voice puts more emphasis on the character, but I find that in many cases, passive voice is more eloquent.

Before someone burns me at the stake, I will say that I try to use active voice, but passive comes naturally to me, and I don't see what the big deal is.

Jessica
“Every human being has hundreds of separate people living under his skin. The talent of a writer is his ability to give them their separate names, identities, personalities and have them relate to other characters living with him.” -Mel Brooks

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed May 30, 2007 4:00 am
Emerson says...

Moved to writing tips

I can't exactly sit in this argument, I've never had a problem with it...other than Madam Bovary, that whole book was in passive (due to translation, I believe) and I wanted to die.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Wed May 30, 2007 5:20 pm
Shawn says...

Passive language is for diplomats. Active voices are for writers who want to get their point to the reader and kick some arse on the way there.

The reality is: passive voices don't stick with a reader as well as an active one does.

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Wed May 30, 2007 10:09 pm
Poor Imp says...

The passive voice may be used to make a point, to change the tone or atmosphere or connote a character's attitude. But in the end, it would be a pity to write an entire novel passively. It ends making the author sound rather lackadaisical or bored with his own tale.

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:53 pm
Imelda says...

Passive generally isn't as 'punchy' as active. After all, most people want to relate to a character and have them do things. Characters are not Sims--they don't have things done to them, because they're people too, even if they don't have bodies and live in your head. ^^

The truth is that passive becomes boring. Much as I don't like Stephen King, he's right--keep away from it.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:49 am
Leja says...

Passive voice makes me fall asleep. In my opinion, it keeps the reader detatched from both the story and the characters, the complete opposite of what you as the author are trying to accomplish.

Also, I find that passive voice can get confusing/complicated quickly. There are times when I have to stop reading to figure out who did what and what happened in general because of the passive voice.

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:12 am
Alice says...

passive voice? one of my teachers once suggested i try that and i like couldnt! Passive voice doesn't exist for me, you could pick my voice out of a crowd, and you can defiently pick out my writing style, loud out there, and in your face without being condesending.
I just lost the game.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:11 am
kktoday says...

I write in passive voice sometimes. It's not on purpose, it just happens. Normally I don't notice it when I read someone else's work. But if it was the entire novel, I'd probably be able to tell. I try to use active voice more than passive now, but I don't mind the occasional passive sentence.

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:15 am
Alice says...

I love being in your face with my writing, i don't even know how to do passive voice anymore.
I just lost the game.

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:43 am
Samara says...

i don't think passive voice is bad if you use it sparingly. but generally active voice is just cooler.

e.g.

"It was a beautiful day."
or
"The day shimmered with beauty."

ok, so that's not the best example, but you get the idea.
"I can't stand him. His ego is splattered all over that screen and it's making me nauseous."
~Me referring to Ashton Kutcher.

"I think the dragon should eat him."
~My boyfriend referring to Eragon

The first draft is a trip to the amusement park. The next drafts are returning there as a safety inspector.
— SunsetTree