z

Young Writers Society

The Parental Issue!

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:28 pm
Hermes says...

I'll show my friends my writing because they know how to read in their heads but my mother! She reads everything out loud in the stupidest way possible and then starts acting like she knows something about my writings that i don't! I hate it. She stole my notebook once and read it and tried to psychoanalyze me. It makes me nuts.

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:09 pm
backgroundbob says...

I'm lucky in that my parents have encouraged me to write ever since I started making up poems when I was a kid; it's like they understood how important it would become to me long before I ever did.

That said, I don't know how much of my stuff they actually read - I don't make a point of either hiding it or showing it to them, so I'd imagine they see bits and pieces now and again. It doesn't really bother me - they're very perceptive, and I have a feeling that with or without reading it, they know a lot more about what's going on inside me than I give them credit for.

I know they'd never stop me writing or try to influence it into being something else, but that's them all over - I've always been incredibly grateful for the freedom of expression they've allowed me over the years, and the encouragement to go along with that.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:37 pm
Alice says...

My parents are too practicle to encourage me to try this as a carrier. They've seen how often I finish stories (hardly ever) but I think when I finish this one after I murder it with my editing myself I'll have my dad edit it and then my mom. My mom and dad would make the perfect writer if they were like combined. My dad gets thousands of ideas a day, but has NO gift for words. My mom on the other hand can write poetry very well but can't come up with ideas for any type of story. So together they get hopefully me!
I just lost the game.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:51 am
chocoholic says...

When I'm writing something I know I'll turn into a novel, I get my mum to read it after I finish each chapter. She doesn't write much, and she doesn't have loads of experience with words, so it's perfect! She tells me what she thinks I could fix up or change, plus she's had loads of experience in different areas, so I can just ask her if I don't know anything.

Once, with my first novel, I still had no idea what was going to happen and I was half way through, we spent an hour discussing it and I got an ending out of that talk! I can't imagine writing without mum. Damn it, I want to be a writer when I'm older! I'll have to live at home for the rest of my life!

But seriously, there's nothing I write that would need to be cencored, and having someone who doesn't know what makes a really good reader read your work can be really good. Maybe you don't ahve your mum, but having someone who just reads can be really useful. Besides, if you want to be published, your job is to entertain your writer, so why not practise as you write?

316 Reviews

Reviews: 316
Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:20 pm
whence says...

My mom's sort of supportive... I guess. I make a point of showing her some of my stuff every now and again, and it's enough to satisfy her, so that keeps out interruptions. However, she never gives feedback on what I show her either, so I guess it's more neutral then anything.nd my Dad...well, he's another story. He has the habit of bursting into my room at unannounced intervals, and I have the habit of switching windows so nothing I'm working on is visible. Thus, he's convinced I buy drugs on eBay or something... but whatever.
The good parts of a book may be only something a writer is lucky enough to overhear or it may be the wreck of his whole damn life — and one is as good as the other.
Ernest Hemingway

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:36 pm
Black Ghost says...

When I first started I would run and show my parents every little thing I would jot down...even though it was absolute crap. And now when I'm capable of writing semi-decent stuff, I don't show it to them at all. I guess I'm weird. :?

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first.
— Mark Twain