z

Young Writers Society

Publishing works online

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Tue May 15, 2007 7:07 pm
snap says...

Hey, guys,

I was reading a book on writing the other day, and it brought up an interesting point. If you post an entire novel online as you write it, and are intending to market that same novel for publishing, it might present a problem. When a publisher buys your manuscript, they buy the explicit right to publish that manuscript, and, if you've posted it online, it's already been published, and many publishers don't want books like that. They know readers won't buy the book if they can read the same material for free online. I just thought I'd warn you guys to be wary. Posting your stuff is fine, but if you plan on actually publishing it, you might not want to. :)
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Tue May 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Twit says...

Oh well, I'm safe on that point. I haven't posted anything notable on here, apart from my historical story which was for my coursework and couldn't be posted anyway.

Still, I'll keep that in mind, Snap! :D

-Twit
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue May 15, 2007 9:06 pm
Sureal says...

That's true. But I don't think anyone's posted an entire novel here, only portions of a novel, so hopefully they can get away with it.

At any rate, I - personally - wouldn't tell a publisher I've published the piece online. What they don't know, can't get you sued. ;)
I wrote the above just for you.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Tue May 15, 2007 9:31 pm
snap says...

Unless they find out. (through google or somesuch) :) I'm not sure how it works, anyhow, and you're right, probably the majority of the people here are safe on that point, but I thought the information might be useful.
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue May 15, 2007 9:47 pm
Sureal says...

Nah, lookit, say, Brad's Choinophobia. He's simply clicked 'edit' and erased all the chapters he's posted. Google won't bring up any results.

But yeah, the information certainly is useful, and worth keeping in mind if you want to post your pieces here.
I wrote the above just for you.

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Tue May 15, 2007 10:18 pm
Fishr says...

There's an easy solution to this: Delete the novel if you're planning on publishing.

Or better yet, find a mod you trust (which isn't a problem on this site) and have them delete the entire thread, not locking it.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed May 16, 2007 2:08 am
Kitkat_1122_ says...

Yeah I read that too somewhere and so thats part of the reason I don't post my works here.

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
— Charles Mingus