z

Young Writers Society

WRITING HELP

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Mon May 14, 2007 2:28 pm
Firestalker says...

Here's the problem:
When I finally finished writing my book I read it again and then felt like adding more. I did, read it again then felt like ading more. It went on like this and I still haven't finished my book.

Got any tips?

The only thing to fear is fear it self.
--
Who is not Insane one man ask, the answer being a fool.
Are you Insane the same man asks, - "Oh yes!. The Mad Hatter being saner!"

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon May 14, 2007 2:37 pm
Twit says...

How long is this book? You could make the whole bunch of ideas what you have into several books, if you're so inclined. But one thing you need to remember: PLAN THE BOOK BEFORE YOU SIT DOWN TO WRITE IT.

It'll make it a whole lot easier. I had that rule drummed into me, as my writing was going all over the place cos I didn't know what exactly would happen where, how and why. Planning ahead helps. You get a proper idea of how much to put in - whether this bit is important or not, or whether the plot will actually work.

Anyway, I hope said above rule helps!

-Twit
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon May 14, 2007 2:50 pm
Sureal says...

Editting > writing more.
I wrote the above just for you.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed May 16, 2007 2:23 am
Kitkat_1122_ says...

I agree with what Shadow said. You should have a plan of how you wanted your book to be. I would only add things that would help enhance the plot, theme, or things like character development (if they aren't well developed).

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed May 16, 2007 5:10 am
Snoink says...

Have fun with it. I don't know whether you intend to publish this or not, but if you want to add more, you always can. Later, as you get involved in more writing adventures, you can make outlines and do all that fancy stuff, but for now, I think that the important thing is you enjoy your writing adventure now. :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed May 16, 2007 1:34 pm
Tyd says...

Theres no limit or rule or way to write/edit/publish or change a story/book :P If you want to write more and make the story better and more intriguing then do so :D
As is a tale, so is life; not how long it is, but how good it is.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed May 16, 2007 5:00 pm
Leja says...

Firestalker, length is not always a large issue, with the exception of things like writing contests. If you find yourself editing in more to the story, that's great. Sometimes extra description or scenes can help to clarify and further the plot. If, however, you find yourself adding things that are unecessary, like a description of a wall if this wall is not important to the rest of the story, I would strongly suggest thinking twice before you add extra.

If you're still worried about length, you could break your story up into different sections or stages. And if you're still worried about the length of it, don't be afraid to sit down with a red pen and ask yourself "is this section really necessary" or "can I rephrase this sentence by using one word for three". The latter will not always work, but it is helpful to consider rewording phrases.

Good luck!

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Wed May 16, 2007 11:57 pm
JC says...

I mostly agree with what everybody's saying. With the exception of planning ahead. Which can be helpful, but it depends on your style of writing. See, I don't plan ahead, but I still know what's going to happen.

It's good that you're adding more, I remember when I finished Illusions instead of adding, I took out a lot of things. So adding is good, as long as (like amelia said) it pertains to the story.

Good luck with your book and editing and all that jazz!

-JC
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Sat May 19, 2007 4:21 am
Samara says...

ever heard of sequels? ;) don't be so eager to fit all your characters and what not into only one book. keep your readers guessing.
"I can't stand him. His ego is splattered all over that screen and it's making me nauseous."
~Me referring to Ashton Kutcher.

"I think the dragon should eat him."
~My boyfriend referring to Eragon

All the turtles are related.
— Jack Hanna