z

Young Writers Society

Giving up

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Wed May 02, 2007 5:53 am
JC says...

Okay, we've all done it. Started a story that was supposed to be really good, got really hyped about it, daydreamed about the day it would get published, who would read it, what your friends and teachers would say...and then a week later it's gone. Then what are you supposed to do with that myspace page? Well, here are some tips to write...and more importantly, keep writing.

1. Start by writing a story you're going to be pasionate about. In other words, write something you would want to read. If you love reading fantasy, write it, if you hate romance, don't make love the theme. Easy peezy. The key thing about writing a story you love is it pulls you into it more, makes you want to write it, just so you can read it. That's when the story gets intresting.

2. Keep a writing log. I know, it sounds cheesy, but for people who can't stick to writing the same story, then this really works. Set yourself a goal, say, like a page a day, or a chapter a week, something like that. Every night write down what you wrote, and if you didn't write, put down why. Eventually you'll get so tired of hearing your own excuses that you'll either write, or just stop the journal...(although it's supposed to be the first one...)

3. Getting sidetracked is the worse, you know, when you're writing a story and it's going great at like page twenty, but then you get this uncontrollable itch to write another really cool story you just thought of! What do you do then???? Well...instead of writing a book with that brillient idea, write a short story, that way it makes the itch go away, you have another story, and it doesn't last long enough to sidetrack you. Well...unless the short story just happens to be like...150 pages long...

4. Don't worry about what others think, as much as what you think. If you know it's a good storyline, keep writing, people often don't know what's going to happen, and because as the author it's your duty to know, well you have a leg up on liking the story. So, if somebody says it's stupid, finish it and prove them wrong. They'll look like a fool, and you'll feel awesome.

5. Don't censor your work because you know somebodys going to read it. For example, a lot of things I've written in the past ended up being very juvinille because I was afraid of what my mother would say. To the cussing, to the subjects, things like that. So one day, I just told her that they were my stories, and I wasn't writing a memoir, it was a story, more importantly, my story. After that I stopped letting her read it, it was then that I began to write for myself. When you write, if you find your leaving out a good idea because of how somebody will react to it, then just tell youself that they shouldn't control your storry.

That's about it for now. I mean, there are of course a lot of other things that I'm not going to mention because of timing stuff...it's getting late. But I hope you found this in some way helpful. Starting a story is suprisingly easy, as is the last line, but it's everything inbetween that's difficult.

Always remember...

Nothing worth having comes easy.

and with that I leave you, good night and happy writings!

-JC
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

Reviews: 0
Wed May 02, 2007 8:28 pm
hprules13 says...

I had a talk with my mom a long time ago about her reading my stuff. I'll let her read it, but she has to accept that it's my book and I'm going to write it the way I think it needs to be written. If that means cussing in some of the scenes, then so be it.

But anyway, these are good tips, JC. To sort of go along with number three, for me it helps if I don't stop and edit every page. If I do I always dig myself into a hole and get stuck, never reaching past the first chapter.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed May 02, 2007 8:41 pm
Wiggy says...

Great tips, JC! Thanks! I also read all of your stuff on wanting to be an instructor-with tips like these, you're sure to win! :D
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

514 Reviews

Wed May 02, 2007 11:48 pm
JC says...

Thanks! That's awesome to hear =D
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Mon May 07, 2007 8:19 pm
PerforatedxHearts says...

Also, how to keep a solid hand on your story:

Just start planning.

It's pretty simple. I mean, there'll be highs and lows with your story. But if you sit down, write out some character profiles, make a loose skeletal structure of the plot or EVEN maybe write out the whole story, happening by happenings.

If you're able to keep up with your story through all the planning, if you truly want something good for this story, then you'll stick with it. Even if it means having to set it aside for a little while and work on a couple of short stories to re-stimulate that overworked mind.

It takes a lot to stay with a story. Personally, I've only ever finished 2 whole stories. Out of all the unfinished stories, 2. That's not a lot.

But don't worry. Reward yourself or something after you write a chapter, or a certain amount of words, or maybe after you've come up with a life-changing, brilliant plot idea or something. That way you'll be motivated, though if you truly want to write professionally, you won't need to be baby-ed into food or money, since you're writing for your life, for your food, for your source of money. There's a lot of responsibility in that.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Tue May 08, 2007 12:58 pm
Twit says...

Yeah, these are really good points, JCobb. :D You're posting a lot of good writing tips on here - keep them coming, I've found them all helpful.

But personally, I never write anything that I wouldn't want my parents to read, or that they wouldn't be happy with reading. That way I don't write anything I shouldn't be writing - like swearing, sex, wrong ideas, etc.

-Twit
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue May 08, 2007 5:05 pm
Tyd says...

I don't care what my parents think of it :P I won't show them my story untill it's finished because my mum isn't the sort of person i feel i can go to and say, here read this fantasy story and tell me what you like about it- were not really like that :P

But good tips overall! I liked the one about getting sidetracked and writing a short story instead of starting a whole new story :p
As is a tale, so is life; not how long it is, but how good it is.

566 Reviews

Reviews: 566
Tue May 08, 2007 5:43 pm
miyaviloves says...

hey JC thanks for the tips!

I would never let my parents read my stuff, they are so like prim in their ideas...they would definatly not approve of Ice Cubes!

I'm gonna try that journal thing...

Meevs
x
Bag.

Got YWS?

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Tue May 08, 2007 5:45 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I agree with Twit, Tyd and Miyaviloves, I would never let my parents read anything I'd written. Perhaps it's a British thing?
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Tue May 08, 2007 5:48 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

Nah, I probably wouldn't let my parents read some of my stuff either. o.O Some of my older stuff has things in it that might be questionable and probably get me sent to a shrink.

I dunno. Maybe once I finally finish something, and if I'm really, really proud of it, I'll show it to them, but until then, I'd rather stick to my friends. o.O

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Sat May 12, 2007 9:39 pm
Royboy says...

Oh goodness. I feel inadequate. The last week or two have been completely pandemonious! (my excuse)

I can't believe I haven't written or critiqued for that long! My brain has sort of shrivled up and died for some reason.

I'm totaly going to start using the journal idea. I have a diary in the first place. That's probably another thing getting in the way, unfortunately. I didn't write in my diary for like three months and those three months were when I first joined YWS. *sigh*

Thanks so much for all the tips, I'll be using them for sure. You guys come up with such great ideas.

Yeah and to add to the little part about parents: my mom doesn't even know I like to write. The last thing she read of mine was an english assignment worth about 20 measly points compared to the jinormous 200 of my last project.
[url="www.royacrystaldoesnanowrimo.tumblr.com"]Follow my 2011 NaNoWriMo progress on tumblr[/url] or [url="http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/734471"]friend me on the official NaNoWriMo forums[/url]!

514 Reviews

Thu May 17, 2007 12:08 am
JC says...

Yeah, the whole parental thing brings up a lot of issues for people. Like I said, I didn't let my mom read things, until I wanted to get published, and she insisted that she read it. It was then I realized I couldn't censor my parents. I just sat them down and told them "this is my story, which in no way means I'm depressed, suicidal or having sex." Also, I don't let them read what I'm currently working on, and stuff like that. But seriously, don't be afraid of what your parents will say, just tell them that your a writer, and nobody wants to read about a completly ordinary perfect person. They want problems, drama, even if at times it seems "inappropriate"

hmm...that was my rant =D

I'm glad so many people like my tips =D

And writingluver, you were right, I'm an instructor now === DDDDD

*big smile*

-JC

I think Amelia Earhart wants you to get some ice cream.
— SilverNight