z

Young Writers Society

Name of a country

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:17 pm
snap says...

Hey, guys,

I'm assuming this is where I can post this, but feel free to move it if I'm off base.

I'm currently in the process of writing a romance novel, and have come to a particular part that will require the use of a map. Originally, I wasn't going to say what country it was in, and just leave it to the imagination. As you can guess, I'm going to need a country if I'm going to use a map. I thought the easiest way to do this would be to make up my own country. I decided on this for a couple reasons: first, obviously, it's easier. Secondly, there are things in the book that, if I were to use a real country, would broach actually making up history about that country, and I didn't want to mess with that.

That being said, I need the name of a country. This is the kind of thing I'm absolutely horrible at, so I was wondering what you guys could come up with. The names in the book are somewhat European, and it is a romance novel. Do you guys have any ideas for a fake country?

Thanks!!
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:45 pm
View Likes
McMourning says...

Hello!
Yep, this is the right place to post it!

Everyone has a different way of naming places, but there are several ways that I'd go about naming a "European" country.

1. Name it after someone you respect. I respect Amelia Earhart, so I might pick Hartland. (Keep in mind that countries often end with "land" or contain "States".)
2. Garble a few names. Amelia +Elizabeth= Amabeth
3. Use an eccentric first name. I might pick Aghadreea, and Irish name for "from the field of sloe bushes." There are thousands of on-line baby names sources to help you. Some have a wide variety.
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:35 pm
Thriving Fire says...

Don't know why I'm bothering posting here because I've no idea how to name places but what's been said before is pretty much it. I was once going to write a thing with a place called Ferminia, and you can have that if you want (although it's not European-sounding).
Anyway, why do you think making up a place is easier? You have to come up with backstory and all that nonsense. Well, you don't have to, but it's noticable if you don't. If you're just making up a place for the name, and don't even have a name, that sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? Ah well.

Was that not the most pointless post ever?
I have an idea about these voices I hear
They're audible to everyone
Everyone but me

14 Reviews

Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:00 am
snap says...

McMourning, thanks so much for your advice. I've already utilized it and come up with a country name. Now all that's left is naming towns and landmarks. :)

In answer to your question, Thrivingfire, the content of the book, if I used a real country, would imply that I was almost making up history about said country, besides the fact that there is some mention of kings and whatnot, not all of it good, and I don't think I want to mess with anyone's royal line.

Anyway, thanks so much!! It really did help. Believe it or not, the book is already almost done (long story) and the actual name of the country doesn't come up too much.
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Fri May 04, 2007 8:10 pm
Twit says...

I like making up countries of my own - it is easier, cos then I can make up my own backstory, history, legends and customs for that country. Do you still need names, Snap? I like making up names, so I can give you some if you need any still.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

14 Reviews

Sat May 05, 2007 4:38 am
snap says...

I came up with some, but I really suck at it. If you have some I can use, pm me, that would be great!!
~ Robert Cormier

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Fri May 11, 2007 8:10 pm
Lady Pirate says...

This might sound a little wierd, but sometimes when you just listen to your character real hard, they will just tell you the answer. By this I mean, don't view your characters as characters, view them as real peole in a real world, and let them do the talking.
'My words fly up, my thoughts remain below.
Words without thoughts never to heaven go.'

William Shakespeare
Greatest English dramatist & poet (1564 - 1616)

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri May 11, 2007 9:06 pm
Tyd says...

I get words i like, like love, hate and bad and then i go and translate them into other languages and see how they look :P
As is a tale, so is life; not how long it is, but how good it is.

i exist in a constant state of confusion so its ok
— veeren