z

Young Writers Society

What Is Your Favorite Writing Tip?

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:02 am
samii27 says...

Don't write the obvious storyline! Keep your readers waiting and wondering! Don't write a predictable ending, it will only anger and dissapoint your readers!
Samantha

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:27 pm
youngwolf1105 says...

Don't over exxagerate or lie. if you lie to your readers, it'll nevere be a success
We were made to corageous,
We're taking back the fight.
We were made to be corageous,
And it starts with us tonight.

And the only way we'll stand,
Is on our knees with lifted hands.
Make us corageous,
Lord make us corageous. - Casting Crowns

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:48 am
Fizz says...

Sometimes it's okay for there to be no plot. Things don't have to make sense and the reader doesn't have to 'get it'. Sometimes it's good to keep readers thinking, to force them to make their own decisions about what has happened. Most importantly, spend the time it takes to make every word seem perfect.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:40 pm
bryan says...

Oh wow i dont think i have a favorite but im deffinately sure this a strong one... When you write let your mind flow and dont force out ideas otherwise you will end up with confusing work and nobody wants to be confused! Yikes!
*Imperfection Perfects the Heart*

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:51 am
emilybrodo says...

When writing, ask yourself:
What could they see/smell/hear/feel/taste? - With every paragraph.
I also listen to wordless music that suits the scene your writing.
If you use the same word a lot, find a synonym for it. When reading look up any word you don't understand and try to learn the meaning of that word.
And add lots of detail to your work.
My favourite tip would probably be the listening to music tip, it helps a bunch, gets you into the mood. XD
“There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein

The game

Free reviews here

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:53 pm
ChocoCookie says...

Nate! :D

This is the very first time, I'm posting a reply. ^o^ And I'm actually kind of feeling proud. xP Lol.

Anyway, back to topic.

My Favorite Writing Tip.

Well, to all YWSer's and guests reading this post, I shall say there aren't any actual writing tip. It all depends on you. ;) You learn by yourself. Every person has a different one. If you would ask me, I don't have any tips. How I learned it was, through reading and trying to write the best of poems and stories. =D But I guess other tips I would like to use are doing some great grammar exercises to improve writing. Thinking can be a lot of pain but fun at the same time. :)

Whenever my English Teacher gives me a grammar exercise, I do it with great enthusiasm. When you have enthusiasm, the more you love writing and you think properly on what terms would you use.

Also, when you write, the piece doesn't always have to impress the one to who is reading. Many people thing with big words, the work looks more formal but you know, that isn't really needed. If your writing a sad poem, you think of mostly fancy words to get the feeling across, but sometimes the word you use, isn't appropriate. >.< So, with fancy or not fancy words,the poem must be written at its best! :smt002

And as what "emilybrode" and other YWSer's said. MUSIC. It is the most helpful thing. Listen every line to it.

Now, for the most important thing. Chat. Through Facebook, Twitter, Friendster, Hi5, etc.; people use Chat Language. Like for "What are you doing?", people ask "Wt/ wat r u doin?". Which is really bad because, when you have an exam or spelling test, you write chat language. I have a few girls in my class who does that, and our English Teacher gets pretty upset. As in for "I" being capitalized, people put it in low-case. That should never occur. So never use Chat Language. Only proper English. :smt043

These are my tips. I hope the post was helpful. I don't really give good advice, but I always hope to help some one. :smt003 Thanks for taking time to read. :P (Y)

Cheers and Keep Writing,
Cookie :smt049
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.

New to YWS? We'll help you out! <3'

178 Reviews

Reviews: 178
Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:33 am
Paracosm says...

The secret to great writing is great editing- Rob Hadley (That's quoted a bit roughly I think, but that's the jest of it!)

You're writing for you, and not anyone else. -My Sis!
Review unto others as you would have others review unto you.

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:00 pm
Gheala says...

Oh, I have the best advice ever! "Force it through" <-- When I heard that sentence as a solution for writer's block, I hastened to try it and it seemed to work perfectly.
Whenever you find yourself stuck in a place in your novel, don't jump to another chapter, but force this one though and create its solution without fear of obstacles. Taking a risk is amazing sometimes, no... it's amazing all the time while you write your novel. Later on, you'll have a more flexible pen against that sad blank paper.
I'm back to my YWS after months of disappearance, hoping that I'd gain the immunity of books and quills against the harmful realism of our world.

In case this made no sense, I'm just saying that I'm happy I'm back!

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:36 pm
View Likes
MoonlightMayhem says...

There are two writing tips that I got from the book Bird by Bird. One is about character and voice, the other is about the writing process.

CHARACTER AND VOICE...

"We all have inner monsters. Some of us are afraid to show them because they're scary, ugly, or hidden in the dark. They have sinned and made mistakes. But when we let our inner monsters out of the caves they live in, we notice that they are more like other people than we thought."

I guess every character includes a voice that is partially the author's, I suppose. And we can't be afraid to let that voice shine through.

THE WRITING PROCESS...

"Writing is like driving a car at night. You can only see as far as your headlights allow, but that's all you really need at the time."

Additionally, I really like this phrase...
“Dance above the surface of the world. Let your thoughts lift you into creativity that is not hampered by opinion.”
Music <3

Death Cab for Cutie - Funeral For A Friend - A Day To Remember - Taking Back Sunday - Safetysuit - There For Tomorrow - OneRepublic - All American Rejects - Yellowcard - Motion City Soundtrack

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:09 pm
View Likes
PrincessLaLa says...

start back writing! read more so you will build different ideas...
The good writers touch life often. The mediocre ones run a quick hand over her. The bad ones rape her and leave her for the flies. ~Ray Bradbury

hope i touch somebody's life! maybe yours.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:46 am
View Likes
ENCR says...

"You write your first draft with your heart. You rewrite with your head. The first key to writing is to write. Not to think."

Reviews: 1
Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:58 pm
View Likes
elms says...

“Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.” - Kurt Vonnegut
I'm a kind of paranoiac in
reverse. I suspect people of
plotting to make me happy.

J. D. SALINGER

413 Reviews

Reviews: 413
Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:13 am
View Likes
Cailey says...

Write every day. Even if all you write is one bad sentence or a couple random words, write.
A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity. -Kafka

Look: A Link! https://caijobetweenthepages.wordpress.com/

304 Reviews

Reviews: 304
Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:59 am
View Likes
barefootrunner says...

If you've got the blank page monster, write down everything that you are thinking as fast as possible. Write pages and pages of useless thoughts. It really helps! Sooner or later you will stumble upon something ingenious that you can use!
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" - Einstein

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:40 pm
View Likes
Metalmauzen says...

-Do not use big words because they are big words
-check your tenses
-Another one that I read here: write what only you can write
This could very well be the push that makes you move

But what about second breakfast?
— Peregrin Took