z

Young Writers Society

What Is Your Favorite Writing Tip?

Random avatar

Reviews: 24
Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:31 am
RainWanderer says...

Write a tragedy that you can laugh at, a comedy that you can cry about, a romance that can bore you to death, and a serious essay that you can fantasize about. Then scrap them all and write again.
Who am I? Just a wanderer, traveling from real life to dreams.

“Writing a book is a very lonely business. You are totally cut off from the rest of the world, submerged in your obsessions and memories.” - Mario Vargas Llosa

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:16 pm
kjr5horses says...

Do not stop and follow your fingers!!! Wherever they may take you, and going out side the lines of your outline can be a good thing :)
"Me I'm dishonest but a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly its the honest ones you have to watch out for because you can never tell when they are going to do something incredibly...stupid." ~Capt. Jack Sparrow

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:00 am
cupcake says...

Write how you want to, don't let others change your writing style. Change it yourself.
God gives us our relatives - thank God we can choose our friends.
- Ethel Watts Mumford

A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.
- Walter Winchell

“I’ll Surprise you, I promise”
-Adam Lambert

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:21 pm
MyName says...

"...I've written a note to myself at the top of the page informing myself that my writing is rot. (It's always good to keep a realistic grasp of the situation.)" -Kristin Cashore

When I first read that I laughed out loud. I just couldn't stop. I think it's a good way of allowing yourself to write despite dysfunctional plots, boring characters, improper grammar, etc., as long as you get something down so you have something to work with later.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:05 pm
ElementalBlood says...

1) when something strikes you, write it down

2) no idea is a bad one

3) when you want to write, just write. Write what you feel, what you see, what you hear.

4) The most truthful things are the things we write. It's because no one ever has to see our words that we can truly be ourselves on the page. (This one is my favourite)

5) All your characters are parts of yourself. There is never anything truly good or evil about any of them.

These words are behind everything I have ever written :)
Who's ever name is written in this note shall die.
My allegiance is to L, the world's greatest detective.
But my twisted mind enjoys Kira's exploits.

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:27 am
psudiname says...

this is cliche, but definately show don't tell.
if anyone wants a review, post on my profile and I'll get to it in a couple days.

Reviews: 0
Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:57 am
tina7franks says...

One of my friend suggested me to think on the topic on which you want to write and whatever comes in your mind just jot it down and then review it.This suggestion helped me lot till date.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:40 pm
Stori says...

The tip that comes to mind is "Trust your demon."

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:28 pm
EmilyofREL says...

http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/p/LR ... r-need.jpg This picture says it all :) Also, in writing you can get right what you got wrong in real life
Formerly EmilytheNovelist
REL stands for Rachel, Emily, Lauren, the initials of my triplet sisters and I
“I wish my stove came with a Save As button like Word has. That way I could experiment with my cooking and not fear ruining my dinner.
”

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:48 am
Kiki says...

I don't think this is a tip of sorts but I get pumped to write when listening to music that just makes me day dream scenarios. I actually wrote a part of my story last night listening to a song by a group I recently became a huge fan of. Music is sometimes my Inspiration. <3

Angelia by hANGRY&ANGRY was the song.

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Sun May 01, 2011 7:46 pm
SmylinG says...

For writers block, if you feel you're in a slump and writing is becoming extra sucky, just write through it. Let your thoughts run their course until you strike brilliance once again. ^-^ I've done this before, and at first it seemed like such a horrible idea, because everything I seemed to have written turned out so terrible. I could hardly stand myself. That is, until I begun to realize that I'd started to push through all of the bad writing and some good writing and thoughts began seeping through.

When I'm in a writing slump, I usually try doing this until I'm cured of my own writers disease. x
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Fri May 06, 2011 10:08 pm
lilymoore says...

"Some people are born to write. Still, others are born with the determination and dedication to learn to be the writer that they were never born to be."

Something I actually told a very good friend of mine when he asked how it was that I was so good at writing (essays). And then he persisted to ask which one I was. But always a great thing to keep in mind. :D
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

Reviews: 0
Tue May 17, 2011 5:11 am
narutobleachfan101 says...

The best tip I heard from a friend is never stop and think about the plot. Just let it flow in your head. It's your story, and no one else's. That, and have the spell check on all the time.
"Remember, your imagination is the most valuable asset given by God."

Reviews: 3
Sat May 21, 2011 7:19 pm
GagaforEverything says...

Never take a writing class
-CrAzY!

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Tue May 24, 2011 2:20 am
Glauke says...

The (first) most effective writing tip I've ever received was from my favorite author, Lauren Oliver. I emailed her, and one of the things she recommended was to write every day. Since then, I've been keeping a journal, and it's helped a lot! Second most helpful tip (has to do with naming characters) can be found here. xx Penni xx
❁❁❁

be still, sad heart, and cease repining
behind the clouds is the sun still shining

Every time someone steps up and says who they are, the world becomes a better, more interesting place.
— Captain Raymond Holt