z

Young Writers Society

What Is Your Favorite Writing Tip?

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:05 am
View Likes
mashe says...

Write for yourself, not to please other people.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:02 am
View Likes
Lucinda says...

I've always liked the tip that you seriously shouldn't stress about the first draft. I think it's something that a lot of writers hear but don't really take to heart. I knew one girl who wrote and rewrote the first scene of her novel (a suicide note) over and over, making tiny changes and asking my opinion, but never actually carrying on with her story. She eventually abandoned the project.
The history of the world
My pet
Is learn forgiveness
And try to forget!

-Sweeney Todd

I'm a damsel...
I'm in distress...
I can handle it.
Have a nice day.

-Hercules

Masquerade!
Paper faces on parade
Masquerade
Hide your face so the world can never find you.

-The Phantom of the Opera

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:33 am
View Likes
BethGoth05 says...

Lucinda wrote:I've always liked the tip that you seriously shouldn't stress about the first draft. I think it's something that a lot of writers hear but don't really take to heart. I knew one girl who wrote and rewrote the first scene of her novel (a suicide note) over and over, making tiny changes and asking my opinion, but never actually carrying on with her story. She eventually abandoned the project.

I have that problem. Right now, I'm working on a Tin Man fanfiction (I saw it recently and I'm completely obsessed with it) I didn't like the first paragraph, so I made some changes. I'm still not happy with it but it will do. BUT it did give me an idea of seeing inside Glitch's mind, like thought bubble moments. I'm just writing it for fun because I need to keep my mind off of my friend, who died a few days ago.

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:44 pm
foxfire says...

do not tell other people the plot of your story...it will give you less motivation when you are actually writing it

it happened to me and it sucks!
John McClane: Drop it. It's the police.
Tony: You won't hurt me.
John McClane: Oh, yeah? Why not?
Tony: Because you're a policeman. There are rules for policemen.
John McClane: Yeah. That's what my captain keeps telling me

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:44 pm
View Likes
BethGoth05 says...

I have a similar problem. Sometimes, I write out what's going to happen before I write it, so I won't forget it. But once I've done that, I lose interest! Maybe I shouldn't do that anymore either.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:51 pm
View Likes
Maddyc says...

Set yourself targets. I didn't believe in doing this before (thinking that it would ruin the muse or whatever) but ever since I've started writing 500 words every single day my writing has just gone...oh so good. You get so much more done and feel so much better.

Reviews: 4
Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:04 am
View Likes
wanted2Bcriticized says...

:idea:

Do the writing when you're in condition..
'cause if not, you're just wasting your efforts..

It worked for me as a writer.. :D

but for me as a journalist.. :roll: i really have no choice..

<that sometimes, my writings are really awful!! :evil: >
...I'm someone who...
wanted 2 B criticized

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:18 pm
View Likes
Fruits_Basket99Tohru says...

Just start. Once you do, it's a lot easier to keep on going.

Sometimes I just randomly start writing in a journal or something and jot down my ideas. It really helps!

2nd best tip: Make sure there aren't too many distractions while you work.

I hate distractions when I'm writing; it gets me off-focus and I get off-topic in whatever I'm writing.
"We're all born with selfish desires, so we can all relate to those feelings in others. But kindness is something made individually by each person...so it's easy to misunderstand when others are trying to be kind to you."
--Fruits Basket Book 1, page 134

Do you need a review?

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:55 pm
View Likes
Merlin34 says...

Write a story that you would read.
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:04 am
View Likes
Conrad Rice says...

The old adage about writing something everyday is just about the truest thing that you can hold to. Practice makes perfect, even in writing.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:52 pm
View Likes
mephet says...

Perfect for a perfectionist like me:

First drafts are allowed to suck big time. All you need to worry about is finishing them.
Blessed are the legend-makers with their rhyme / of things not found within recorded time. - J. R. R. Tolkien: Mythopoeia ┃ avatar

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:30 am
View Likes
irishfire says...

I have two:

Simplicity is just as beautiful as complexity.

and

"What does that even mean?"

1) I said that once during a review and it really hit me that, that didn't apply to that story but to everything. You can find something beautiful in the smallest things and its really opened my eyes to the smaller details you really should add. Its helped me space out my stories more.

2) xD Alot of people have said that to me before re-reading my stories really became a priority for me. I still have serious problems with it, I ALWAYS miss a lot of stuff but its better than before. (Yay for spellcheck xD)
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey

Teacher: What do we, in the U.S enjoy from places like Mexico?
Student: Wait, legally?

WARNING: This user carries a spatula.

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:54 am
View Likes
Kamas says...

Capture your reader in your words. Once you do you can pull anything out of their heads. It's all about language.
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:31 am
View Likes
Blue_Rubies says...

Show, don't tell - It's amazing how much this little tip helps.

"Read like butterfly, write like a bee" Philip Pullman
Take inspiration from everything around you. Take ideas, twist them, squash them, take them apart and put them back together. What you find might surprise you :wink:

Some advice from a very old booklet on short story writing: When you watch TV, close your eyes as a new person is introduced, and make a mental image of them by their voice and words alone. When you have a clear mental image, open your eyes and see if you were accurate. These mental images are great "cores" for characters.
Wise man never plays leapfrog with unicorn
- Tibetan Proverb

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:00 am
View Likes
Hippie says...

Think of each moment in your story as a nexus in time from which infinite pathways could unfold. Explore these pathways before deciding which one to take. Don't just take the first one that comes to mind.
Q: Where do you go to buy shoes?

A: At the shoez canal, lol.

Sometimes my life just sounds like surrealistic fiction being sold on clearance at the book store.
— J. G. Hammersmith