z

Young Writers Society

What Is Your Favorite Writing Tip?

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:22 am
bluewaterlily says...

Adjectives are important, but too many are like leeches that draw the life out of your story. My own advice is to use verbs that can "describe" for you. For example, why say something as generic as walk when you can say, stroll or strut?
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:34 pm
View Likes
Pretzelstick says...

This is my favorite advice ever!:
Write what disturbs you,what you fear,what you have not been willing to speak about.Be willing to be split open1

-This is my fav piece because I use writing as an emotional outlet for me where I write all of my problems and then secrets and then I rip the page and throw it in the trash but it really truly helps and calms me down!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

Reviews: 2
Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:11 pm
View Likes
coefi4afrika says...

Vierce wrote:sorry, but i'm going against the 101 tips for writers in the resource section, which says, "Always know your ending before you start."

Whenever i write (at least if i have developed my charecters as well as i should), i sometimes find myself thinking that a story will go one way, and then i find out that the charecter would not LET it end that way, or they would do something else that would result in another ending. I believe (and so does Stephen King in "On Writing, a Memoir of the Craft," a great book definately worth reading) that your characters should determine the direction that the story goes.

So i guess my tip would be, "Listen to your characters!"

sure ... same here
passion for life

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:58 pm
View Likes
WrittenEdge says...

This is a really common one, but it's one that my step-dad tells me relentlessly, and I'll probably never forget it: "Write every single day. The more you write, the better you'll get."
~Edge

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Thu May 28, 2015 6:39 am
View Likes
TriSARAHtops says...

This is from Maggie Stiefvater's blog, and I think it's a very good writing tip.
http://maggie-stiefvater.tumblr.com/post/89808836036/eyes-up-writers
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

Reviews: 0
Fri May 29, 2015 12:10 pm
LesleyVos says...

Imagine yourself a reader: would you read the story you are writing right now?
Welcome to my small writing world! :D So many people, so many writings.

Reviews: 0
Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:25 am
Vikingr says...

This is especially for NaNoWriMo:

If you get to a point where you introduce a name of a person or place or want to put in an epithet but can't think of a good one off the top of your head, you could put in [name], [name of name], and such in place, perhaps in red or colorful text so that when you come back later you can replace them with a name you have decided upon.
"A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--The Hávamál

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:42 pm
View Likes
raevynstar says...

Never talk about the idea before you write. All you'll find is that people will be completely brutal, and that will discourage you immensely. I know from experience.
Why read this? Why not do that thing you always wanted to do?
Go now. Find your passion. I'm sure it's not reading signatures.

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:16 pm
View Likes
fantasydragon01 says...

Read.
"Many that live deserve death and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo?"----Gandalf

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:27 pm
Storybraniac says...

This one's common but it helps. I first write down the main plot of the story first in a paper. I usually just write down random words connected by arrows. Which is why my sketch book is a total mess.
Our thing progresses
I call and you come through
Blow all my friendships
To sit in hell with you
But we’re the greatest
They’ll hang us in the Louvre
Down the back, but who cares? Still the Louvre.

- Lorde

In my head I do everything right

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:30 am
Lightsong says...

Never think too much about a sentence and how to make it better while you're writing it. Just write what you have in mind so that you won't stuck at the middle of the story. You can always fix it after the story's finished.

The main point of writing a short story is to form a complete story. No matter how fancy your writing is with high vocabulary, you need to focus on the story line and the characters.

If you're afraid you're going to stop at the middle of the story because of lack of ideas to continue it, make a short draft so that when writing, you can refer to it to make the storytelling flows.
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:34 am
xv0nillaWriterx says...

Nate wrote:What is the best writing tip you have ever received?

Well I got from many people and it is the popular ones for almost story or chapter I wrote is GRAMMAR and Sentence Structure. Like seriously i hate it so much and i know i have to practice it. BUT TO lazy! :|

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:28 pm
View Likes
Charm says...

People don't like to be told what to see, they like to be shown what to imagine.

383 Reviews

Reviews: 383
Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:18 am
Sujana says...

The greatest stories are the ones you can sum up in less than fifteen words.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief."

Ecclesiastes 1: 18

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:04 am
View Likes
Demeter says...

My current favourite is the one @Rydia mentioned in her YWLJ article: if you write 165 words per day, at the end of the year you have 60,000 words.

The procrastinator that I am, I find this so inspiring and it helps me to remember that every little bit helps.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

People with writer's blocks should get together and build a castle.
— Love