z

Young Writers Society

What Is Your Favorite Writing Tip?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:33 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

What is the best writing tip you have ever received?

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:38 pm
View Likes
Ofour says...

Don't stop.

OK not exactly a real one. Otherwise I'd say: "Realise that what may be obvious in your head is not necessarily so in everyone elses."
ln(-a)=i(pi) + lna

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:40 pm
View Likes
Shriek says...

Actually, it's an acting tip, but of course it's applicable to writing, as it is to all art.

There is no such thing as a "character." It's about exposing yourself and all your imperfections in writing. You put all this stuff out in the open --these feelings -- and become vulnerable.

For instance, you don't write that a character is yelling because that is what the plot calls for. The character yells because I'm frustrated. You have to work yourself up about things. You have to relive rejection, failures, heartbreaks -- revisit pain and manifest this in the writing.

Same goes for every other emotion.

This tip is helping me to create some of the best writing I've ever had.
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:55 pm
View Likes
Trident says...

You can only break the rules if you truly understand them in the first place.
Perception is everything.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:11 pm
View Likes
Charlie II says...

"READ IT THROUGH FIRST! I DON'T WANT TO READ YOUR RAMBLING, QUICKLY SCRAWLED, AIMLESS RUBBISH!"
Yeah. That teacher had problems, but it's a good tip (I think :? ).

DarkLight
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:17 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

I'd have to say Nanowrimo taught me that you ARE allowed to write bad, so long as you get it written enough to salvage something later...
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:28 pm
View Likes
Cade says...

^^I agree with Clau there. I used to throw a bunch of my stuff out because it didn't come out right the first few times. Now I have a million random little documents on my computer and little pieces of paper and small bits of poetry EVERYWHERE (see: Chem notebook + inspiration = bad Chem notes) but I never lose anything, and sometimes they turn into nice things.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:02 pm
View Likes
Thriving Fire says...

When Philip Pullman (author of the His Dark Materials Trigoly, for those of you who live on Mars) is asked this question, his answer is invariably the same: [the isn't a quote, but it might as well be]
'Write what only you can write. Don't give in to trends and fashions, don't try to second-guess what a reader wants. Readers don't know what they want. So write what you can write'.

I follow that advice like a religion. Enough said.
I have an idea about these voices I hear
They're audible to everyone
Everyone but me

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:36 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Hahaha... it's an acting tip, actually. Everybody contains every single character inside oneself. So writing becomes not a place for "character development" but rather self-reflection and analyzation. And EVERYBODY has experience variances of emotions to some extent or another.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:39 pm
View Likes
piepiemann22 says...

Lets see, out of them all, ADD MORE DETAIL.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

Reviews: 3
Sat May 05, 2007 2:00 pm
View Likes
Eloquence says...

My favorite writing tip...well...I have two.

One, keep as many notebooks as possible or any sort of paper in case inspiration arrives, and be detailed and use strong sensory language.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat May 05, 2007 4:20 pm
View Likes
Leja says...

Don't write what you know; write what you want to know.

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Tue May 08, 2007 2:01 am
View Likes
PerforatedxHearts says...

Build up your story through research.

"A lot of amateur writers overlook that, but the real professionals, the ones who get the top honors and awards in writing fantasy and the like, are the ones who build the supernatural from the natural."

--Rain Gray.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Tue May 08, 2007 12:51 pm
View Likes
Twit says...

"Good literature is character driven."

"Don't be a seat-of-the-pants writer."
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

fun fact i hear my evil twin once wrote a story about a hacker who used the name fyshi33k bc there are 33k-ish species of fish and she liked phishing so fyshi-33k made sense but then she got super embarrassed when someone forced her to explain
— VyperShadow