z

Young Writers Society

What Is Your Favorite Writing Tip?

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:40 pm
View Likes
peanutgallery007 says...

I have a lot of trouble with this. Although, I almost always have inspiration, just never have a way to put it in words, or I have writers block. Here are some tips that normally help me out a lot!

1. Try to relax in a nice, calm place, normally by a river or some place really soothing, and just think. I think on what I have witnessed or observed in the past few days, and if I come up with nothing, then instead of thinking, I clear my mind. Clearing your mind, if possible, is a great way for your brain to reboot itself and think clearly.

2. Listen to music. Of course, a lot of people here do, but listen to music you don't like, and then listen to your favorites. You'd be surprised at what it does! (Studies show that if you listen to music you that makes your heart “soar” so-to-speak, it actually opens blood vessels getting blood to circulate more freely! Your brain and heart thank you Smile )

3. Drink some comfort beverages. It's normally comfort food but not this time Smile ! Drinks can help simulate blood flow too, and if you eat late at night or curled up, it's capable of giving you a stomachache. For me I normally have warm apple cider or some tea

4. Let it run it's course. (Whatever it may be; writers block or inspirational deficiency). Things can come to you at the most random of times, and sometimes, like a bad illness, letting it run its course is the best thing to do. You will get something eventually! :)
Have a peanut =)

Try your hand at my poetry contest!

Proud LGBT supporter.

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:45 am
Banango Cheesecake says...

It's not really about writing, but it's editing. I think it's part of writing anyway, so what the heck.

Wait for a week or two before rechecking your story. This way, the "OMG I JUST FINISHED IT!! I LOVE IT!! IT'S AMAZING!!" feeling will wear off. For the entire week, STAY AWAY from said work. You can work on another, I guess.

After the week is over, you'll see your novel in another light.
Why do I keep having this scary nightmare...The one where I went mad and killed you with my own hands.

-Loyal AS fan-

Reviews: 4
Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:07 am
Joyfulnoise says...

My favorite: "Surround yourself with people better than you are."
I might've paraphrased it a bit, because I've had one of those long, brain frying days where I try to do everything and nothing gets done, but I think the point it's making is that if you are constantly under pressure to be as good as the writers around you, you'll rise to their level.
"Anything if possible for him who believes."
~Mark 9:23

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:48 pm
SeleneForeverDream says...

My favorite writing tip is nothing is ever edited enough. There is always something more to edit and there is always room for more improvement, no matter how good you think your work is.

This tip works for whatever you write, whether it is poetry, scripts, essays or a novel. It will work for you.
Got YWS?

You judge others upon their actions, but you judge yourself by your intention.

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:01 pm
Conrad Rice says...

I have two.

The first draft of anything is pure crap.

Whatever you do, write a little of something every day.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:14 am
Angels-Symphony says...

1. The pen is in your hand, not someone elses.

2. Those aiming for nothing are sure to find it.

3. Don't think of your characters as your imaginary friends. Think of them as you.*
* Some people don't realize this, but the characters they create are actually pieces of them. If they weren't pieces of you, how would you know them so well? ;)

4. Don't write because you're happy, be happy because you write (:
(lol, this is what my sister's choir teacher says about singing)

5. Think in complete sentences, otherwise your story will just be bits and pieces.

6. Don't stop writing a novel, switch to another idea, and then try to go back. You'll end up having to rewrite your original one because you let it settle too long.
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:12 am
Ruth says...

The writer doesn't find the story; the story finds the writer.

(although you'd think Twilight could have found a better writer:))
"Ruth.
She's alive because she is not dead,
and junk."
~JoJo

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:18 am
Trikky says...

"Let sex (the body and the physical world) in."

"Write every day"

"Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, give up."
"God is dead." -Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is dead." -God

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:07 am
Ruth says...

If you don't enjoy writing it, who's going to enjoy reading it?
"Ruth.
She's alive because she is not dead,
and junk."
~JoJo

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:00 am
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

Blooregard Q. Kazoo wrote:I forget where I read it, but my favorite writing tip is to think of a story you would like to read, then write it.

i LOVE this one ^^

one that has helped me said 'there are two ways of writing- you can write for yourself, or you can write for an audience.'

i don't know why but it helped me sort stuff out. :)

oh, and always keep a pen in your pocket
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:13 pm
Krupp says...

Ignore the bollocks, just write.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:59 pm
Merlin34 says...

If you have names or words that you made up (like Latrapi, Merenor, or Avilandra) in your story, be sure to add them to the dictionary of Word, or whatever program you use. That way, if you misspell them, the spell check will catch it! :)
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:43 pm
BethGoth05 says...

I don't really like this advice, but my mum tells me to write what I know. Personally, I don't think it helps. Writing about depression and suicide gets a bit repetitive after a while.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:07 pm
jessabelle4C says...

ugh, my best tip would probably be.......... ugh.
:? Maybe remember the background of your character. I hate it when a writer mixes up the character with another. Remember your characters and don't just change them randomly unless it's needed.
Jessabelle
The past is the past, so don't bring it up.
JLJ is 4ever <3 :)

"Never give up, but there's a lot of people that would love to watch you fall and a lot of people wanting to see you succeed."

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:16 am
lil_orange says...

"The best way to send information is to wrap it up in a person."

I'm not sure if this counts as a writing tip, but it helps me to get more into my characters, so I thought I might as well post it here :)

And another one:

"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."

I think it's so true. If you choose the right words and twist them the right way, you can make the reader believe anything you want him to. And that's the point of it all, isn't it? :)
Nem kell vigasz, nem kell segítség, nem kell semmi. Csönd. Ha szeretni nem lehet, alkotni kell.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.

Be careful or be roadkill.
— Calvin