z

Young Writers Society

What Is Your Favorite Writing Tip?

Reviews: 0
Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:00 pm
pandalee says...

If you're in bed, about to sleep, and a wild idea for a book suddenly pops into your mind, make sure you write it somewhere else before you actually fall asleep. Even if you're really tired, scrawl it on a piece of paper! add a note on your phone! It'll help the next day:D

Also, don't be afraid to ask for opinions from others(: i don't think that's a problem in this website, though.:D

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:28 pm
crossroads says...

pandalee wrote:If you're in bed, about to sleep, and a wild idea for a book suddenly pops into your mind, make sure you write it somewhere else before you actually fall asleep. Even if you're really tired, scrawl it on a piece of paper! add a note on your phone! It'll help the next day:D

Word. It's really not a nice feeling when you wake up in the morning and realize you've forgotten it ^^

I trained my brain on that one, I think - I can't even fall asleep until I write it down, lol
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

Random avatar

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:11 pm
View Likes
Amily says...

When some idea crosses my mind, I wait until it becomes unbearable not to express everything in pen. In this way I train myself to narrate in a bright way. =)

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:15 pm
Iarann says...

"Get your lazy backside on that chair and start typing."
It's held true for the longest time: the biggest thing stopping me writing was my just not starting with it.
Aio, quantitas magna frumentorum est. Cash or card? c:

641 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 641
Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:17 pm
Panikos says...

'Back all your writing up so you can't lose it.'
When I was about eleven and had about twenty books on the go (the longest of which was only seventeen pages :wink:) my computer got a virus and all my work was lost because I hadn't backed any of it up. I was so upset and defeated that I didn't write for months - it was like all my characters had died and I was in mourning.
From then on, I made a point of ensuring my work was safe, either on a memory stick, on the internet, or both.
The backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done.

~Radical Face

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:24 pm
Maddymayhem says...

Don't be afraid to write! Just write it down, even if you KNOW you'll hate it. Someone will love it, even if you don't.
[user]
-Maddy Mayhem

Random avatar

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:50 pm
Amily says...

I'm concerned that it's no point in pluging apiece into writing down the idea which has recently crossed your mind. It's better to 'digest' this idea and then you'll have an opportunity to thoroughly overthink every detail of your future work.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:41 pm
bandgeek101 says...

The main advice I use when writing (especially novels) is to create a character chart and always see things from the character's point of view. You are that character.
Courage is resistance to fear
Mastery of Fear
Not absence of Fear
-Mark Twain

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:07 pm
KelliLocks says...

Never stop for the day when you are out of ideas but when there is still something inside you driving you to keep writing.
~Keep on dreaming

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:27 pm
Loose says...

Stop writing for the day while you're still enjoying the story.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:42 am
MagmaLlama says...

When you are creating a character for a kids book, make them a year older than the intended audience. This works because the kid can look up to the character but not see them as alienated because they're so much older than them :D
You can call me a geek,
You can call me a freak,
But if you do,
I'll kick you into next week.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:09 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Remember that every single person in your story, no matter how minor, has a life just as rich as your MC. Maybe not novel worthy, but they do have lives.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:45 am
View Likes
littleauthor says...

Write every where and any where. This pretty much explains why my hands are covered in black ink. c:
It's better to be WEIRD than boring

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:39 pm
View Likes
TriSARAHtops says...

Something which works for me is to write for a set amount of time- and hour two hours, whatever, and do nothing but write in that time. You can stare out the window or daydream, but basically the rule is you can either do nothing but write or do nothing at all, if that makes sense. It was a tip by the writer Raymond Chandler (I learnt about it reading Scott Westerfeld's blog), and it works really well for me.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:54 am
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

Writing a good poem always gives a good title. Sometimes, though, even with just a good title, you can write a good poem!
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity.
— Amelia Earhart