z

Young Writers Society

What Is Your Favorite Writing Tip?

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:20 pm
Skorpionne says...

Write what you'd like to read.

Okay, that's actually a tip I gave someone else.
I've learned so much from people who never existed - Unknown

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:50 am
Wolferion says...

That's one of my own when I write, but I find it exceptionally useful and it might help others =)

Everytime you're about to write your chapter, listen to an appropriate music according to the scene.

Let me explain. For example I'm writing a comedy scene, I find a cheerful song on my PC and listen to it while I write. The song gives me cheerful mood and in that mood I have appropriate thoughts for the scene. Same for serious scenes, I just turn on music that makes me get serious, and so on. I just found that it's easier to get a grasp over all the words for the specific description and make it sound ... exceptional? No real idea, but I know that some of the descriptions that I wrote while listening to music were quite liked =).
~Don't beg for things, do it yourself or else you'll never get anything~
-Formerly Shinda

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:13 am
LookUpThere says...

Do us a favor and stop writing, :D

Not really,

I suppose the tip 'Be Your Characters' Characterization is my weakest point.

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:22 am
MeanMrMustard says...

Take a break from reading or writing for an extended period of time to cleanse your mind of outside influence; when you return to both, write from your voice, in a manner as original to your particular perspective as possible.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:11 pm
cannibalcorpse3 says...

Always, always, always avoid using the passive voice.
And write about what you know; how're you going to publish a novel on the war in Afghanistan if you've never even been?
The remainder is, An unjustifiable, egotistical, power struggle, At the expense of the American Dream.

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:54 am
View Likes
ultraviolet says...

cannibalcorpse3 wrote:Always, always, always avoid using the passive voice.
And write about what you know; how're you going to publish a novel on the war in Afghanistan if you've never even been?

Research. ;)

Actually, depending on what aspect you are talking about, I say either "Write what you know," or "Write what you want to know." Of course, these can both apply to the same novel, just different parts of it.
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:19 pm
cannibalcorpse3 says...

Actually, depending on what aspect you are talking about, I say either "Write what you know," or "Write what you want to know." Of course, these can both apply to the same novel, just different parts of it.

While I'm sure your view will be a source of great inspiration to many an aspiring novelist, I still think (and this is just my personal opinion of course) that you should always write about what you know; however, knowing something in your heart will suffice just well as knowing something in your head will :) Of course nobody knows what it's like to get abducted by aliens, but I'm sure there are lots of great novels about precisely that, happily enough :D
The remainder is, An unjustifiable, egotistical, power struggle, At the expense of the American Dream.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:44 pm
Glimmerglass says...

Just write. Write, write, write. Sprawl it all onto paper, documents, your blog, whatever. Write until your brain falls into itty, bitty pieces. Write because you can't stand to NOT write.

and then later go back and proofread it and pull your hair out and think about why you ever wrote something this awful in the first place, blah, blah, blah.

The important thing is that you wrote something at all. Best advice I ever got.
"If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you."
~Winnie the Pooh

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:27 pm
View Likes
CelticaNoir says...

Show, don't tell.

Honestly. :D That simple tip allowed me to expand on my writing significantly. I used to tell, tell, tell...now I just show my readers what I want them to see. Plain and simple. :)
I am the workingman, the inventor, the maker of the world's food and clothes.
I am the audience that witnesses history.
- Carl Sandburg, I am the People, the Mob

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:06 pm
Calligraphy says...

Make your work quotable.

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:39 pm
View Likes
Fishr says...

Write what you know.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:12 pm
Kale says...

What you know is not limited to just first-hand experiences.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:40 pm
RacheDrache says...

All writing tips should be considered warily, taken skeptically, followed wisely, and/or flatly ignored, in the name of art.

Including this one.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:32 am
Bugwhisker says...

"Don't mention fish if there isn't an ocean nearby... seriously."

:lol: That was something a classmate of mine in seventh grade told me. I've since abandoned that story, but it was good experience for me-- it was where most of my writing skill developed. :)

562 Reviews

Reviews: 562
Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:10 pm
Button says...

Write with humanity.

Poetry and prayer are very similar.
— Carol Ann Duffy