z

Young Writers Society

What Is Your Favorite Writing Tip?

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Wed May 30, 2012 1:39 am
View Likes
octopi says...

write like there's no spell check, edit like you have an editing monster on your shoulder screaming in your ear "YOU MISSED A LETTER YOU FOOL!!!"

*ahem*

also not to give up, and to take constructive critisizm and ignore nasty comments.
that awkward moment when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopi.

formerly camboftw

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Wed May 30, 2012 7:30 pm
View Likes
wordsandwishes says...

Finnish what you started.

And not just in writing.

Reviews: 0
Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:21 am
tartuffe says...

final draft= 10% less than the first draft

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:35 am
ColleenTremain says...

Make sure you check, duble check and tripple check all of your spelling and grammer.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:23 am
Love says...

Draw on your dreams and nightmares.
I was Amareth :)

Reviews: 4
Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:28 am
yllufituaebroken says...

I live by the creative principle that as long as you are doing something, something is getting done. Be it character profiles or scene outlines, whenever I find myself sitting, not being able to write a single page worth salvaging, I move on to something else- something more productive until I feel comfortable trying to write again.
"In the city lights, that's where you'll find
a beautiful soul and a broken mind."

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:48 pm
View Likes
eyeofthestorm says...

In poetry try to make the last word of every line an interesting one.
Bilbo: What have I got in my pocket?
Gollum: Handsies!
Bilbo: Nope, guess again.
Gollum: A knife! No, no...
Bilbo: Wrong again.
Gollum: String! Or... Nothing!

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:41 pm
View Likes
MiaParamore says...

Write what you like. Don't force yourself to try stuff/genre which you are not least interested in.

Plus, try to add things which make you go 'wow'. That ways you're going to enjoy the story more. ^_^
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:01 pm
View Likes
Skorpionne says...

"If it's boring to write, it's boring to read." In the same vein, "no tears from the writer, no tears from the reader."
I've learned so much from people who never existed - Unknown

Random avatar

Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:52 am
AricAndres says...

drawing on your dream and nightmare is really a powerful quotation, which will help you to create masterpieces.
also I'd combine this one with a tip to always have a shit of paper in your pocket.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:23 am
View Likes
OokamiKitsune says...

Writers don't have walls, we have blocks. Which we can rearrange as they write because we don't even know how the story will end when we start. So take each chapter a thought at a time. :D
Every hello is the prologue to the knowing farewell, so make as many stories as you can:)

304 Reviews

Reviews: 304
Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:54 pm
View Likes
barefootrunner says...

My tip for today is to take a story that you've written in past tense and convert it to present, or vice-versa. Take a look at the new version. Is it easier to read, or not? Is it more intimate or more believable? You can do the same with first-or-third person writing. There must be a reason behind your style.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" - Einstein

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:01 pm
View Likes
ShootingStars says...

I need to follow my own advice when I'm on YWS. xP I always post a chapter, then write the next one, then post that, and on and on. It's better to do what I do while I'm writing my real books:

1. Just write your story, never looking back on a sentence, a paragraph, a page or a chapter. Simply finish it, even if you forget something and you feel the need to flip through your pages looking for it. Even for the sake of consistency, DON'T. You'll want to start editing everything you see if you go back too soon, and you'll never finish. It's frustrating when you feel like you're not getting anywhere in your story because you keep going back. Editing before you're done is the archenemy of the writing process!

2.Once you've written the entire thing, read it over once, but don't change anything. Wait a few weeks, months, or even a year before returning to your book. Don't worry, your words aren't going anywhere. Spend time with family and friends.

3. After you let the story sit and allow your brain to regroup, reread and make some notes, whether that's on notebook paper or Microsoft Word. Try to make your notes about a big, plot/character change. For example: "Move this huge plot element to later in the book," or "Change MC's name," or "Take out this character." Trust me, even though I'm only a seventh grader, notes are really helpful when you begin the editing process.

4. Copy, paste, and save your text into a new document so you can have a copy of the original. This part is very important! You always want a copy of the original.

5. Lastly, rip your entire story draft to shreds. Seriously. Murder it, and dont be scared to do so. This kind of murder isn't against the law, in fact it's something you need to do. You have to be willing to change your favorite parts of the manuscript. Chances are, those pieces are the ones that should go the most. It hurts sometimes, but in the end it's worth it. The murder was worth it.
Spoiler! :
WARNING: Murder is only good for your books!

6. Most importantly, have fun writing! If you aren't enjoying it, then your readers aren't. Make sure you're writing because you love it, and not because you feel forced to. If you wake up one morning and don't feel like working on your next chapter, then it's okay. You should be in the mood to write. Simply do it the next day!

I really hoped this helped some people, and if it did, feel free to shoot me a PM or post on my wall! Thanks! :smt003
---ShootingStars
When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are. Anything your heart desires will come to you. -Jiminy Cricket

Don't be afraid to jump, to leap, to fly too far and don't be scared to touch the stars!

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:57 pm
View Likes
tgirly says...

It's okay if your characters aren't the people you expected or wanted them to me. Contrary to popular belief, the author does not control the character, the character controls the author.
When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
-Abraham Joshua Heschel

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:29 pm
View Likes
WritingWolf says...

Let your characters be who they want to be. It doesn't matter who you want them to be.
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

When life gives you lemons…take over YWS with fruits and vegetables!!!
— LemonescentAnt