z

Young Writers Society

Character development

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:19 pm
DragonWriter says...

Before you write your story you should always write a charater qeustinare.
just follow this formant.

name:
personality:
pet peeves:
fears:
weaknesses:
familly:
job:
edgucation:

and any thing else that you might want to include in your story. This always helps.
Twilight rocks!
New Moon rules!
Eclispe kicks butt!
In coclusion, Steaphine Meyer is a rocking, ruling, and kick butt authour!
That is the TRUTH!

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:31 pm
Lilith says...

I want to disagree just a smidge. I used to write out stuff like that and honestly, most of those characters turned out to be generic duds. Characters shouldn't be planned they should just...Be.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:09 pm
Emerson says...

Characters should be planned out as thoroughly as possible, so that they are three-dimensional (or called round, I believe?) rather than with only one dimension to them (called flat characters)

This is a good way to start character development, but in the end it only gives you the basics. You don't want to know your character as a list of info, which is why I tend to avoid these types of character development. Instead, you want to know your character as a person. My recommendation would be to hang around the Character Development group (although, it's always been slightly hard for me to actually use that to my advantage...) or do some of the writing activities that involve characters (though, now you have to use points to post there).

For me, I know my characters...hardly at all, honestly. I know their basics, from the beginning. What I want them to look like, how I hope they will act, their personality, their role in the story. But they always look like real people to me, and because of that, they develop as I develop the plot.

No one has ever told me my characters are weak (well, in my short stories maybe) so I'm not sure I struggle with it, but I feel like I do...

Maybe that helped?
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:59 pm
Sureal says...

I don't like to plan out what a character is going to be like before I write. Largely because I can't write like - they'll come out completely different to how I planned them.

Rather, I prefer to only really have one or two basics concepts about them (eg. agressive, or quiet, or cocky, or whatever), and then I simply write. I find they often develop their own personality and voice naturally, saving me lottsa time.

But really, everyone's different. And my way doesn't work for everyone.
I wrote the above just for you.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:11 pm
Meep says...

Aw, what a cute little character sheet. (One of my standard ones is about two pages long empty.) I agree, though: these are a great place to start. I usually continue to update mine as the story goes on, while saving the original drafts so that I can see how the characters develop over time (both as "people" in the story and as "characters" in my writing, if that makes sense).

Like Claudette, I'd recommend the Writing Activities and Character Development sub-forums, but also just role playing. I believe there's a Storybook sub-forum here somewhere that works almost like your standard play-by-post role playing game.
βœ– I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:12 am
Dream Deep says...

I would have to agree with Till/Claudette I can't write a word unless I know who my character is... which makes things a bit difficult because I very rarely if ever write characters with whom I can directly relate - no fifteen year old American girls for me. ^_~

The sheet you have there, Dragon, is a good basis for getting your character started in any event - as you say, you can always expound off of it. (Though I believe you have a typo in 'education').

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:17 am
Poor Imp says...

I'd have to say, I've been impishly elitist. I disdain character sheets - have rather, always.

When I begin to write, if a character doesn't slip in vividly, I've dead paper and I toss it away, feeling bleak. But usually they do show up, after a bit if not from the start, and they end up introducing themselves like any odd fellow in a cafe. Appearance, vague age perhaps - or its ambiguity, mannerism - speech. Er, I'm afraid I always lose them when I write out information as if I were filling out a passport application. ^_^

That comes later, I suppose. So then, it may or may not help, depending upon the writer and story. But it never can hurt to throw it out for storytellers to peruse and wonder at.

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:13 pm
xtenx says...

I like doing the character sheets after I'm done writing...mostly because it's fun and I like to talk about my characters. I miss them when their story is done. Haha. I don't usually use them for character development though. I make sure I know the important things without listing them.
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity.
— Franz Kafka