Not Sure...
26%

Total votes : 38

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:00 pm
View Likes
Sureal says...

I'm curious (and also bored), so thought I'd ask you'll a question - do you think you could co-author a story?

For me personally, the answer is a no. I find that writing is a personal thing, and involves me locking myself in my bedroom and writing the ideas in my head. Heck, I even dislike talking about a story with someone else until it's finished. The idea of sharing a story - of trading ideas and working on a piece together - just seems alien to me. The only real exception is giving and recieving crits.

But I know other people do indeed work on stories together, and there are people who presumably enjoy it. So I'm interested in hearing what everyone has to say on this.
I wrote the above just for you.

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:09 pm
Trident says...

Definitely not. I think I would be too controlling of the story and want to do everything my way. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I never saw the point in co-authored stories. I just don't think I could work with someone else on a story, no matter how good or bad an author they are.
Perception is everything.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:49 pm
Firestarter says...

I really, really couldn't at all. Writing is what I control, my personal space, I wouldn't share that easily.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:51 pm
View Likes
Matt Bellamy says...

No. Same as everyone else, I'd want it all done my way.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:59 pm
Emerson says...

I've wanted to.. it sounds fun, but I'm baffled by it. At this point in my writing development, at least I think so, I've grown a style that is my own. Perhaps not in all of my writing, but with certain things I have a style and a voice and a way of writing that would hard to fit to someone else's and make it look good.

I wanted to co-author something with Luna, but it never got farther than "OMG it would be SO fun to write something together!" so...yeah :-)
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:44 pm
Thriving Fire says...

Funnily enough, I quite enjoy writing with someone else. I'm in a rock band though, so teamwork comes quite naturally. Sure, I can be a bit controlling, but the trick is to get someone with a strong enough personality to stop my attempted control. As for the personal bit, it depends; if I'd have an idea on my own, I won't get others involved, but if I get an idea that I suggest to someone else (whether on purpose or by accident), partnering up is fun.
So there.
I have an idea about these voices I hear
They're audible to everyone
Everyone but me

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:13 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I've said I'm not sure, as you never know what you would do/how you'd react until you're thrust into that situation. However, I doubt I would be able to do it, as I have personality that seems to clash with most others, and I am a complete control freak. I wouldn't want to accept anyone else's ideas and, if I did, I'd have to write the whole thing myself.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:07 pm
Goldenheart says...

Elaborate. Define 'Control freak'. I'm sure you aren't THAT bossy. :wink:

I'd love to co-author something... but it's a question of who would want to do it with me. I don't know if anybody could stand me and my writing style.
It's odd. I'm a pushover, because I don't want to seem too pushy.
...Heh. Hard balance to find, isn't it?

Goldie
"I hate the word 'Truce'. It means 'Fun's over'." ~My little sister

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:24 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

I've always been curious about co-writing with people...in fact, I'm more or less (hopefully) going to try it with Dreami...that, and/or co-plotting (something I made up), depending on what Dreami and I decide and stuff. I'm just not sure how the co-writing would really work, because like...what if you and the person you're co-writing with perceive the same character two different ways and as you write about them things about them get brought in different directions? I'm curious to try it, so I'm excited about doing so. I think it'll be easier for me once I get in to it because I'm used to role playing with people, and I imagine co-writing to be fairly similar to role playing.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:34 pm
Via says...

No, no I could not. I even have a hard time with roommates. I take on extra work that I don't really need to take just to make sure things are done the right way...because I know the right way and someone else might not.

I could not co-author a story. No way.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:05 am
JC says...

Well, me and one of my good friends tried writing a book together after seeing Cavalia (a horse show), but she never finished the prolouge, and I couldn't work without that information. Then we tried writing a screenplay, but it never got past a synopsis. So...I think I could make it work (If I could smooth out the writing differences, kinda like what Claudette was talking about...writing style stuff) but the other person would have to be willing to actually write!!!
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

Random avatar

Reviews: 61
Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:43 am
BrokenSword says...

No, I don't think I could. Writing is a very private and personal thing for me, and if I were to write with someone else, I don't think my ideas would flow very well (I'd be too concerned that the other person would think my ideas were silly.)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:30 am
Snoink says...

Hehehe... oh I love co-authing. :D You get inspired to write more and write better than you ever had, all in a short amount of time since t he other person is impatient to see what happens next. Some of my best works htave been co-auths. I'm also searching around for someone to do a comedy fantasy with me, lol. It's fun. ^_^
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:28 pm
Pushca says...

I'm not exactly sure how to coauthor. There's something about it that seems kind of cool, I just don't understand how it works. And yes, I too would be controlling.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:11 am
Wiggy says...

I've always been curious about it, but I'm not sure if I could, as I've never tried it. Me and Pros are gonna do something (and me and Dreamy possibly! lol), but I really have never experienced it. It's never gotten past the part of discussing the type of genre, so I really don't know...
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

We are great at fearing the wrong things.
— Hank Green