37%
Not Sure...
26%

Total votes : 38

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:25 am
Trident says...

If you think about it, there are very few professional co-writes on the market.
Perception is everything.

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:48 am
Shafter says...

Lots of authors become coauthors once they're famous. Orson Scott Card, for example, or Jane Yolen. But usually not before.

I have coauthored a couple of stories, but just for fun. I voted "Yup!" I'm particular about my characters, but when I meet someone who can write them well (like my friend Julie!), I don't mind at all. Also, I have really thick skin when it comes to critisism. I wish I had time to coauthor more stories!
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:05 am
Writersdomain says...

Yup! I've coauthored with some of my friends for fun in the past, and it was a relatively good experience. The two writers I did coauthor with a few years ago dropped the story and left me with a head-full of characters and future plots, which was not fun, but while it lasted, it was a good experience. It got me into the habit of continuing what I wrote.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to go back to it now that I've actually finished something on my own, but someday I may want to try again.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:17 am
Royboy says...

I have control issues. Let's just put it at that. I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings by telling them NO! I don't like the way you write this! or something like that. It would just be stupid on my part to say it in the first place, but also, I'd hate for that person to think of me to be bossy from then on.
[url="www.royacrystaldoesnanowrimo.tumblr.com"]Follow my 2011 NaNoWriMo progress on tumblr[/url] or [url="http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/734471"]friend me on the official NaNoWriMo forums[/url]!

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:30 pm
Lilith says...

I will never try that again. I did once and we nearly killed each other (metiphorically). We both had very different styles of writing so we really contidicted each other.

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Tue May 08, 2007 12:31 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

I've tried co-writing with a friend before. Needless to say, we got to Part....5 before we quit since we modeled the story after The Westing Game, which is a very good book, and pretty much parts one through five were repetitive in the elements, in the fact that we had to copy and paste a letter in each one to the recipients. The only difference was how the characters reacted, who they were, what they were doing, etc.

So...a lot of people say, writing is one-man or woman. I agree. You may have someone help you with ideas, or you might try it, but the latter doesn't help. The first usually does.

But don't try it. It's just too hard, and too controlling.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed May 09, 2007 7:00 am
Tyd says...

I suppose i could if it wasn't a serious thing, such as writing a book for charity- something that was funny : / I would never want to co-own a personal book though- take away half my glory >D
As is a tale, so is life; not how long it is, but how good it is.

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Wed May 09, 2007 7:54 am
Insomnia says...

I think I could co-author, but I wouldn't know until I tried. Sometimes I can be a bit demanding! I might just get a bit annoyed and walk off lol! But didn't James Patterson just co-author a book? He's sucessful, so he must see something good in it!

101 Reviews

Reviews: 101
Wed May 09, 2007 7:55 am
sworddance says...

Actually, I've been trying this with one of my best friends, and it works alright. We've done this twice, although in one of them what actually happened was she wrote a story when she was in seventh grade, with a few scenes in it that I wrote on her request, and several years later we were talking about it, and how she'd dropped it, and we decided to resurrect it. So I became scribe, and from the roots contained in her story bloomed a whole new tale with some of the same characters. Working with her and her ideas actually adds a whole new level of complexity to it, because I take the things she gives me and I ask 'well, why? why would that happen? why would he/she say be that way?'
And that was the basis for one rather complex character, well-rounded and dynamic (if I do say so myself! :wink: ).
The other, however, is far more of a co-authored story than is the one I just described. In the other one, I'm scribe again, but we're taking a whole different direction for this one. We each created a character, hers by the name of Shadow and mine by the name of Clypta, and wrote their introductions; she sent me hers, and I fit it to a conformity in narration, and we brought the characters through the tale with her writing about hers and me writing about mine until the point where they met up, and now we simply collaborate ideas and I type them.
We work well off each other, and it's fun as a project for two writer friends like us to work on together. You might try it sometime, if you have a friend who shares your interest in writing and you guys can work well together.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on that.
bei'theh!

~sworddance
Drummer, beat, and dancer, fly
The floods of war are crashing nigh
Raise the mountain, blade the fire
And woe to they who voked your ireā€¦
-----People do speak in semicolons; they just don't know it.------

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Wed May 09, 2007 3:26 pm
PerforatedxHearts says...

Ehh..well, that's great. You're one of those lucky peeps that can share an idea with someone else.

>.< I can't. That's just me. I tend to hog everything and want to write it all, but brainstorming with someone helps, a lot, more than trying to write it with someone else.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sat May 12, 2007 8:17 pm
RatchetWriter says...

I'm not sure. Either I would totally want MY plot, MY writing and MY characters, or I would just leave the writing to the other person, and toss ideas at them.
I think it would be hard to find a balance, but I think you could write the story faster, and have more fun, if you were good at working together.

On the other hand, I am co-authoring storys with my brothers, and it's going very good. Except we're both bad at finishing our storyies, so none have been.
But then again, you know your brothers better, so that may be why it's going good.

Anyways that's my opinon.
~S.P.E.W~ "Special People Enthusiastically Writing"

*sigh* "Another day, another death course."
Ratchet

Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
— Mark Twain