z

Young Writers Society

First Person Fantasy

Reviews: 0
Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:08 am
Feilyn says...

So, as you probably gathered from the subject...i'm writing a first person fantasy.
What do you think? I'm well aware that most fantasy is written third person. Well aware. However, I've read a few fantasy books written in first person, and i loved them. It can be done, although i'm not trying to emulate that particular style.
See, i love my main character. I love being inside her head, and i just don't think i could write her the same from third person. But in most cases the plot is better served by writting third person.
What do you think? I've never gotten far enough into the story (i rewrite a lot, and i've been world building lately) for the plot thing to come into play, so i'm totally lost.
'INSANITY OF HEROES'
What makes you think a hero is someone special?

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:51 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

My "policy" *snigger* is always to write in whichever way makes you feel most comfortable, be it third or first person, past or present tense, or whatever. If you prefer first person, then do it. You will just have to use different methods of furthering the plot, that's all.

-Kaz
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:11 pm
Elelel says...

Go for it! I quite like First Person. I've written fantasy in it, although it was light, funny fantasy. But still. Anyway. You need to do different things in fantasy. It's developing a, unfortunately, well-deserved reputation for being the same thing over and over. So different is good.

Plot ... well. It's not like there will be no plot if you write in first person. Just make sure you don't get bogged down too much in how the character is feeling about everything, and you'll be fine.

And if you decide at some stage that third person would certainly be better, then I guess you can always rewrite. Sounds pretty bad, but you're going to do it when you finish anyway.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:12 pm
Twit says...

I prefer using first person more than third. I really get to know my characters better in first, and feel more intimate with them. With third person I feel more stand-offish, like I'm the narrator telling a story about these characters I know about, instead of one of the people telling their own thoughts and feelings. So, I heartily endorse first person! Of course I recognize the limitations of first person, but I feel I write better in first rather than third. If you wanna write in first, then go do first! I personally like reading first-person stories better as well.
I remember the first time I read a first person story, I called it an "I" book ("Oh, yes, I got an "I" book out of the library today..." :lol:) Well, I can't have been older than eleven! :)

-ST
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:47 pm
Snoink says...

Write it the way you want to, straight through. At the moment, I'm attempting to write a first-person fantasy and each subsequent attempt, it's worse, so just write how you want to write it. And continue -- don't stop for edits.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:00 pm
Feilyn says...

Heh. Don't stop for edits. That right there would be my number one problem. I'm ALWAYS stopping for edits.
'INSANITY OF HEROES'

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:20 pm
Goldenheart says...

Yeah, me too.

When you say 'The plot is better served in third person', what do you mean? Do you mean that you want the reader to know things your character doesn't?
"I hate the word 'Truce'. It means 'Fun's over'." ~My little sister

Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:34 pm
Feilyn says...

ehm..yeah. Maybe plot was the wrong word.Characterization, maybe? Just certain insights that would help the reader get to know the motives etc. of a certain character/s. It's kind of difficult for me to describe.
'INSANITY OF HEROES'

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:17 pm
Twit says...

Write a character study of the major characters. And, why not try the snowflake method with it? Ever since Crysi told me about it, I'm telling everyone else about it. :lol:

-ST
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:56 pm
Alice says...

In my love for writting stories like this I have found that there are only two paths that you can take with this, either no foreshadowing to very little or you have to basically scream it. I have done versions with both and its fairly easy to do both.
I just lost the game.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:41 am
Feilyn says...

ShadowTwit wrote:Write a character study of the major characters. And, why not try the snowflake method with it? Ever since Crysi told me about it, I'm telling everyone else about it. :lol:

-ST

I do a lot of character stuidies, although not recently. What's the snowflake method?
'INSANITY OF HEROES'

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:52 am
Crysi says...

I agree with the majority here - write how you want to write. You have enough to worry about with having to force third person out of you, too.

Here's a thought - if there are points in the plot where the readers might understand the scene a bit better by having insight from another character, switch your point of view to that character. You'll still be writing first person, but you'll be inside another character's head. I've seen a few novels do this, and it can be extremely effective.

ETA: Google the snowflake method - it's the first link that comes up. It's an excellent way of outlining your story by starting at the wide view of the story and slowly zooming in to catch all the details. Very thorough. It takes a lot of time to complete, but it helps you understand your story inside and out, even if you know it by heart.

Glad I could recommend it! :)
Love and Light

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:54 pm
Meep says...

I'm not in mad love with first person narratives* but I think they could be done, and done well. The Vampire Lestat is almost entirely first person, and that's a fantasy of sorts.

---
*for the sole reason that the narrators often end up sounding like Lestat, whom I adore, but one can only take so much of the stuck-up, egocentric narrator type
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

snacks are relevant to every situation and your argument is invalid
— LemonTheDorkyPanda