z

Young Writers Society

Character Skeletons and Conflict Charts

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:37 am
Writersdomain says...

A very simple tool of getting to know your character is asking the not-so-simple question of 'why'. For every element of your character's personality, there is the capacity for explanation, and often times these explanations can open doors and teach you things about your characters you never knew before.

Considering this is a tricky thing to do at times, I have found that there are two tools that have helped me tons, and so I figure I may as well pass them on. :wink: They are character skeletons and conflict charts.

Character Skeletons

What is a character skeleton?

A character skeleton, on the surface, is a basic breakdown of your character. It includes the basic information like age and name, but it also includes the major influences in your character's life and other such things. A character skeleton is an easy way to write as much as you want about your character - and often it will help you point out unexplained things in their life that can lead to deeper realizations. Characters often change throughout the story, so it is often more helpful to gear the questions in a way that will provide insight into how your character will change, things more directed at the nature of the character instead of the bare likes and dislikes.

The basic model that I follow (though there are many variations) includes: Name, name meaning and significance, age, appearance, family, major influences in childhood and life in general, strengths, weaknesses, fears, quirks, misconceptions of other characters, heritage, personality traits, summaries of relationships with other characters, personality changes throughout story, a not-so-brief rant about the character's personality, and other interesting facts. All the categories of course depend on the character, but those are some fun basics.

But, indefinitely, the funnest part of character skeleton is the 'Life and Times' part. A long time ago my friend gave me an idea of writing out my character's entire past and explaining the development of the character along the way. Well, of course, I took advantage of the idea and it was wickedly helpful. I ended up writing almost ten pages just on this character's past. And when you have a written document of your character's past, you can easily draw connections to their actions in the present.

On the other hand, character skeletons can be time-consuming and distracting. I am not giving you an excuse to abandon your story and launch into character skeletons for every single character before continuing. :wink:

Conflict Charts

This is where it gets hard. What is a conflict chart?

It is writing out the general and personal goals of each character and listing all the factors conflicting with that goal. Sounds simple, but it isn't, especially not with complex characters where you are left wondering 'what IS my character's goal?!' Most character have more than one goal - at least one exposed goal and one hidden goal (not always), and if you can identify these goals, you can predict how your character will react when those goals are threatened more easily. If you can provide explanations for these goals and conflicts, it is even better. An example.

Liehne Erdelen

Surface Goal: To gain her freedom and keep it.

Conflicts:
- the cost of that freedom is higher than she knows. (ordered to kill her own son)
- she does not remember what it is like to be free and thus has no idea what she will do with her freedom. (was imprisoned for 17 years of her life)
- she grows attached to the son of the one enslaving her and does not want to leave any longer.

Internal Goal 1: To make up for her failures in the past through her actions now

Conflicts:
- loss of memory (she cannot fully remember her failures)
- timidity and sensitivity to accusations (her dreams are devastated by the words of others.)
- hatred for those who have ruined her past (hatred leads her to new failures)
- the person she is trying to use to make up for her failures is not the person she failed.

Internal Goal 2: To regain her memory

Conflicts:
- well, she can't remember.
- the dreams she has about the past make her not want to remember
- as the story progresses, she no longer to wants to revisit the past and only wants to live a good future.

Liehne is a rather simple character, but that is the basic idea. And if you can narrow the goals down to the most influential one, you can make flashcards! :P

Anyways, for those of you who are struggling in getting to know your characters, I hope this helps out. If you want anymore examples, PM me. Toodles!
Last edited by Writersdomain on Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:56 am
Trident says...

A lot of people may find little exercises like these helpful, and if you do, then I suggest you pursue them. Personally, for me, they are a distraction from the actual writing process.

Good advice to any author would be to write, write, write. Often you can develop a character by choosing paths, idiosyncracies, falterings, and even physical attricbutes as you write. If one doesn't work out, do not fear to use the Delete key. Practicing writing is invaluable to becoming a good writer (obviously). Don't be afraid to write something horrible, for you can simply attribute it to your practice.

I wrote some pretty bad stuff when I started writing and at the time I thought it was award-worthy. Even now I write some terrible stuff. But I continue to write. These exercises tend to throw me off track. But that is certainly not the case for everyone.
Perception is everything.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:35 am
HeadInTheClouds says...

These would be a great exercises for me personally. My story still has a very shaky plot, and I can't say i've done too much in-depth work with my characters. This would really help me get to know them better. Thanks for the ideas!
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:29 pm
Emerson says...

Wow.

This was actually extremely helpful! I probably will take advantage of these two techniques when I'm working on my new story. perfect, perfect, perfect! And very helpful!

name meaning and significance

This is the only thing I have to rant-and-rave about, because I don't fully believe in it. Name meaning and significance just...doesn't matter to me, and some people are huge over it, but to me it's how the name sounds, and if the sounds reflect there character. For example, Rosen: it's like rose, and he's a soft, delicate character. It also sounds girly, so it fits. I have no idea what it means.

But...that complaint doesn't really belong here ^^' good ideas though! You helped me out =D
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:24 pm
Writersdomain says...

I'm glad you found it helpful! :)

Well, name meaning and significance depends on the character. I more meant what the name means to the character and if they have any specific feelings towards it. Some of my characters like Corrode do not find their name very attractive and are ashamed of it.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

Nouns can verb very well actually, they verb better than some verbs do.
— winterwolf0100