z

Young Writers Society

Music When Writing?

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:13 pm
Stefan says...

For me, I write best when I'm listening to music which relates to the book I'm writing ( eg/ Dark Ambient for horror etc). It gets me in the mood. I have yet to find a good song or genre to listen too when writing romance, I need it to be soft, slow, soothing and inspirational. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea's what music would be good to listen too whilst writing a romance.

Also, do any of you listen to music to inspire you?

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:16 pm
Royboy says...

Heck yes I listen to music while I'm writing. I'm always listening to music. However, unlike you, I don't really listen to a certain type of music to inspire me into writing something. I just can't stand writing with silence in the background. If my fingers stop typing, the silence is too much to bare (or bear...). I like to think I'm still writing and working. Haha, you must think I'm crazy now, right?
[url="www.royacrystaldoesnanowrimo.tumblr.com"]Follow my 2011 NaNoWriMo progress on tumblr[/url] or [url="http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/734471"]friend me on the official NaNoWriMo forums[/url]!

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:17 pm
Goldenheart says...

I almost always listen to music. It varies, from classical to folk. Usually I listen to soundtracks, namely LTR and Narnia. They're both very nice, when writing fantasy. Music for writing Romance? Hmm.... I've never written romance before, so I don't know. Why not try the 'Pride and Prejucide' soundtrack? It's really good.
"I hate the word 'Truce'. It means 'Fun's over'." ~My little sister

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:19 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Actually, I don't. I find myself singing along, and cannot concentrate on one thing at once. Although I can sort of block out the words of the song and just get the general feeling of it. Maybe I should try it. I find when I sit down meaning to write I end up writing absolute crap. I shall experiment.

-Kaz
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:33 pm
Stefan says...

Goldenheart wrote:I almost always listen to music. It varies, from classical to folk. Usually I listen to soundtracks, namely LTR and Narnia. They're both very nice, when writing fantasy. Music for writing Romance? Hmm.... I've never written romance before, so I don't know. Why not try the 'Pride and Prejucide' soundtrack? It's really good.

I'll try and find some samples on the internet, thnx

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:01 pm
Meep says...

I think there was a thread on this fairly recently ...? Anyway, like you, I change music depending on what I'm writing (or reading, even). I won't bore you with a list of all the genres I have, it's pretty long.
βœ– I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:52 am
xtenx says...

I always listen to music when I write, but I never pay attention to it. It's just sort of playing while I write. I prefer to write with music when I write but I don't really care what is playing as long as it's not terrible.
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:11 am
Jennafina says...

When I'm writing, I find lyrics really distracting so I either listen to something without them or nothing at all.

Soundtracks are really fun, I sometimes try to coordinate music with the scene I'm writing. Songs with fast tempos seem to make me write more, but with less precision, whereas slow songs are the other way around.

Also, everyone in my family plays an instrument so there's usually some type of sound happening.

-Jenna
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:36 am
Fan says...

It's weird but I listen to movie while I write. Don't know why, it just seems to help. Though sometimes i'll try themed music.

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:24 am
flytodreams says...

I listen to music while I write, but it doesn't match the writing.
And I listen to pop and rock/punk...(I don't know which type)
Be yourself; everybody else is already taken.

I came, I saw, I conquered.

When you're being nice to your character, you're being bad to your book.

Random avatar

Reviews: 45
Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:27 am
magiclukehutch says...

I like to listen to "The Monster's Loose" by Meat Loaf and it gets me excited and I want to write!
Always happy to help!

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:26 pm
Emerson says...

I listen to music so much, but rarely does it actually reflect its self in my music, which may be because I don't always have music playing while writing. At least currently, none of the music shows in my writing, but a year back when I wrote 19th century dark fantasy, I would always listen to Katzenjammer Kabarett, they really got me into the mood to write in that charming 19th century style I grew.

But for now... I dunno. I have a probably with liking to sing along to the music, so if it is playing, I'll sing along, and not writing. Or, I'll channel it out, and it is like the music isn't even there. I'm odd... lol. But in general, music does inspire me. It just distracts me while writing.

Enigma is a good band to write to I have found, because of the ambiance to it. It's sensual, and techno, and perfect to calm yourself down and write smoothly. But either way, I end up tuning what ever is playing out.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:54 pm
Bella says...

I have a list that I listen to constantly while I'm writing. Either that or I'll turn on the radio and whatever comes on comes on. I listen to almost everything, minus rap. Rap is a sad excuse for music.
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) <3

Please review my performance poem?

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:35 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I listen to almost everything, minus rap. Rap is a sad excuse for music.

I agree. Who wants to listen to a load of people talking with a repetitive backing track? urgh
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:10 pm
Middle Children says...

Sometimes when you listen to music when you write, you have an extra dimension that builds atmosphere the reader doesn't have.
We are the middle children of history.

Life is about losing everything.
— Isabel Allende