z

Young Writers Society

Music When Writing?

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:08 pm
Goldenheart says...

Exactly!

It's also infinitely easier to write when you're in the mood. LotR is amazingly helpful, especially in really big scenes. When a scene is especially peaceful, I listen to 'concerning hobbits'. :) I wonder what it is about music that helps/doesn't help our minds to focus?
"I hate the word 'Truce'. It means 'Fun's over'." ~My little sister

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:50 pm
EstelPax says...

Personally it depends on what kind of mood I'm in.For a mush story Right Here waiting by Clay Aiken or Can you feel the love tonight.Action storries He's a Pirate.Poems varied.
Hope for Peace

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:07 pm
HeadInTheClouds says...

I can't listen to music with lyrics when i'm writing, because I start thinking about what the song is saying and stop concentrating on the actual writing. I've never tried writing with music with no lyrics, i'll have to try that sometime. Honestly I write best when i'm not trying to write at all. Usually i'll just be on the computer with the T.V. on in the background and i'll just start writing a poem or adding to a storybook, and that's when I do my best writing. When I feel no pressure to write anything good and act on impulse.
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:48 pm
Fishr says...

I listen to metal. ;) The genre is far larger than any other in any other catagory. So, I have plenty of options to choose from. Most people don't relize but metal is emotional; the artists express their views/themselves differently in various ways. I usually listen to heavy or death though, mostly heavy metal.

Following up on that, I'm a big 70-80's hard rock fan, Aerosmith being my favorite.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:25 pm
Dreami says...

I'm with some of the other people on here who say Lord of the Rings is helpful music to listen to! I love to listen to the soundtrack, and will go through certain songs while writing different emotions. I find music to be helpful and inspiring, but lyrics sometimes distract me, depending on what scenes I am writing.

- Dreami

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:16 pm
Writersdomain says...

I listen to all kinds of music while writing: LotR, Anastasia and all sorts of things, though I'm usually listening to my Tears of Lecraesa playlist. I have noticed through is that whenever I listen to extremely emotional music (like the song I subconsciously relate to the ending of Flames), I start getting too highstrung and my writing suffers terribly. I get so impatient that things start getting terribly abrupt and it's just awful. So, I have to choose my music carefully when writing. :D
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

"Cowards die many times before their deaths; but the valiant will never taste of death but once."
— Julius Caesar