z

Young Writers Society

MORE help needed

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:46 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

I'm still struggling with my Watcher story. The more I try to come up with ideas, the more similarities not to not only the White Lighters on Charmed but to the Elders/hidden village of magic users in my Chronicles of Magic story I see.

I guess the first thing I should do is list the traits that the Elders in my Chronicles story, the White Lighters, and the Watchers all have.

White Lighters/Elders on Charmed
-Can orb
-Can hear their Charges call to them. They know when they're in trouble and also know when they're hurt.
-Can heal

Elders in Chronicles of Magic
-I guess the only similarity to the Elders on Charmed and in my Chronicles story would be that they're both magical leaders of some sort.

Watchers in this new story
-Can become invisible and walk without any sound
-Possibly have an academy (like the Elders/White Lighters on Charmed- they have a school for magic- and kind of like Selestia, the hidden villiage for magic users in my Chronicles story with the master and apprentice thing) where future Watchers are trained to become Watchers
-Those who train to become Watchers (still need a name for that) have one person to train them, so a master/apprentice relationship.

I'm thinking that the main character will have the ability to create illusions. The ability that all Watchers will share is becoming invisible. But I'm not really sure what to do as far as like...whether or not they're taught the abilities that their masters (for lack of a better word) have, or...I dunno. I really don't want to make this so close to being like Harry Potter (as far as the academy/magic kinda goes). I also don't really want to make it so similar to my Chronicles story.

Another concern: location/people knowing about the Watchers. In Chronicles, Selestia is hidden and no one knows about it. I don't want people to know about the Watchers, but I don't want to have them hidden like Selestia is. They also need to be fairly close to other towns/kingdoms in order to be able to watch people.

I'm sure I'll come up with more concerns, so I'm going to only post this here for now until tomorrow, but the last thing is like...I kind of want them to be able to do the equivilent of orbing like the White Lighters do, mainly so that if someone they're watching isn't close by, they'll be able to call to their Watcher.

I need to figure out whether or not the person Avana watches is male or female.

If they're male, there could be potential romance, which would be the same thing as what happens on Charmed, only it's a male White Lighter and female witch. If they're female, that might not be so bad. Anyone have any ideas as to which I should probably go with?

Also, I'm having trouble thinking of a title. I found one possible title through a generator, which is Twilight and Illusion, but I'm not 100% sure if it even fits.

I've gotten some ideas from my friends on LJ, but any other ideas would be really helpful. I'm not all that great at world building. :| I really wish I had more ideas just for the world in general, but I don't. x.x

The most important thing is to have fun! Stress makes for distress and neither of those belong in writing!
— Kaia