z

Young Writers Society

Paragraphs

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:49 am
Fan says...

One thing I've been noticing in my work is my inability to paragraph properly. This has risen from the fact I'm juggling three GCSE english essays and the paragraphing style I use on then is not very good for stories but I've integrated them into my brain. Seriously, when should you introduce a new paragraph?

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:58 am
Trident says...

Where a paragraph starts or ends doesn't really make a difference except for a few occasions. The following are necessities:

--To separate two or more peoples' dialogue.

--To separate ideas on a topic (more for essays and non-fiction).

The rest is up to you. Typically it's a good idea to form a new paragraph when you are talking about a new idea. Such as if you were describing a setting and then some action starts. I tend to start a new paragraph a bit too much, but in general, most people won't really care. Use your best judgment and if you can add any dramatic effect by adding that extra space, then I say go for it.
Perception is everything.

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:00 pm
Prosithion says...

Use different paragraphs any time you change idea, point of view, split up dialouge, etc.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:52 pm
Leja says...

Generally, a new paragraph should come when the speaker changes, whether in dialogue or point of view. Break up paragraphs between scenes and ideas within a scene as well. You can also break paragraphs to put emphasis on a certain idea so that it stands out from the rest of your writing.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:08 pm
Middle Children says...

You can end a paragraph when you want.
We are the middle children of history.

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:47 pm
Shafter says...

You can also write very short paragraphs to accent an idea. For instance (this is off the top of my head, forgive the poor writing):

Derek dashed down the alley and slammed himself against the wall, gasping. He wiped sweat from his forehead and tried to calm his ragged breath. He peered around the corner, glimpsed his pursuers, and pressed himself to the wall again.

He was going to die.

See how that short sentence drives the point home? Read a lot to get a feel for paragraphing; it can be essential to the pacing of your writing!
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:07 pm
McMourning says...

Fantasyartist wrote:This has risen from the fact I'm juggling three GCSE english essays and the paragraphing style I use on then is not very good for stories but I've integrated them into my brain.

For an essay, it's to introduce a new idea, or sum up the entire essay. But, you knew that, and are worried about using it in a story. This form can work if you're talking about the history of the town.

Example of how a five paragraph essay form works for a historical story:

Paragraph 1 introduces general details: The experimental Mars colony of 10 has grown into community of almost 3000 members. And etcetera...

Paragraph 2 talks about the beginning: In 2156, Earth was threatened by a possible explosion of the core. NASA immediately began testing equipment to see how it could last on Mars....

Paragraph 3 talks about the middle: By 2170, the astronauts had not only survived, but had formed close-knit relationships with each other. Many even had children of they're own....

Paragraph 4 talks about the end, near the time of the story: In the past 10 years, the Mars base has continued to expand with new citizens and businesses....

Paragraph 5 sums it up again: In 50 years, the Mars base has turned from a last resort of saving humanity, to a complex of mini cities. Originally, NASA was just toying with the idea of a biosphere, when the colony began. But, in a matter of 15 years, the base had grown into a small city, with entire families. Today, the Mars Base continues to provide shelter for families such as my own. I have grown quite proud of my heritage here, although I wish I could see Earth.

The next paragraph dives into the actual story. In this case, I would probably continue on about my hope for seeing Earth and how they came true when such-and-such occurred.
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:49 am
Snoink says...

...essays and stories are different?

Indent for dialogue and emphasis.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

55 Reviews

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:45 am
Shafter says...

Yeah, essays and stories are very different. In essays, you mostly try to begin and end your paragraphs with topic sentences. Of course, in stories, anything goes as long as it flows well.
Got YWS?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:27 am
Snoink says...

Shafter wrote:Yeah, essays and stories are very different. In essays, you mostly try to begin and end your paragraphs with topic sentences. Of course, in stories, anything goes as long as it flows well.

I don't know. When I learned how to paragraph writing essays, my stories actually became better pargraphed. For instance, say I wanted to show a long descriptive scene. I used to flail a lot and ramble... but no more! Now I have a topic sentence: what do I want to say? What is the reader going to be reading about? Then I have the lovely descriptive sentences which lull them into the environment. Then I remind them what they just read and move on. Thus, no rambling! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

55 Reviews

Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:33 am
Shafter says...

Good idea! I actually didn't know too much about essay writing until I was forced to edit 18 essays a week... topic sentences can be very good for writing. I might just do it naturally or something-- my mom taught me well!
Got YWS?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it.
— Christopher Darlington Morley