z

Young Writers Society

Query letters...

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:04 am
JC says...

so...any tips on writing them?
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:28 am
Snoink says...

Search Google on how to write query letters and then panic because you're not a published author and therefore you can't brag about your credentials? :lol:

Okay, seriously? Tell them who you are. Tell them what you're selling (i.e., about your book). Tell them a short summary of your book. Tell them about yourself (if you have publishing credentials -- I don't). If you don't... well, don't lie. Whatever you do, do not lie. Look at sample query letters (you can find them on a Google search).

Put your address and information on it!

And always look at the requirements that the agents/publishers want. Otherwise, if you give them something they don't want, then they're going to send it back.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:57 am
xtenx says...

^^I agree with everything Snoik said. Fulfilling the requirements is crucial, otherwise you're facing a definite rejection.

And also, before you write it just accept the fact that you are not going to be able to write every detail you want. Pick the important ones and make them fit in the best way possible. I wasted a lot of time trying to fit extra details into mine and I wish I had just gotten right to the point.

Proof read it. A lot. A flawless letter will go over better than one with a few grammar issues.
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

It's Monday and you folks are beginning to wonder about the show, aren't you
— David Letterman