z

Young Writers Society

Multiple POV

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:44 pm
xtenx says...

I don't like stories that alter in POV unless it's absolutely clear whose POV it is- meaning, if it follows some pattern. Maybe it's every other chapter rotates between 2 people. If it's consistent, it can work well.

Also, there should be a good reason too. Don't just change POV for the heck of it. WHY do I want to read about the event from this POV? If you can't respond with a legitimate and compelling answer, don't alter the POV.

And I also don't like it when people SAY whose POV it is at the beginning of every chapter. In my mind, if you have to say whose POV it is at the beginning of the chapter, you're doing something wrong. The reader should be able to know without you saying "So-and-so's POV".
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:06 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

Changing POV with first person sounds really hard, as it would be really hard to figure out who the new "I" is unless it's blatantly stated. Otherwise the reader will be "wait a minute, this is so-and-so?" and have to back up; more than once.

If you're going to switch, first make sure that it reads well that way and that there is meaning and purpose for having different characters view certain scenes. I feel Jane Lindskold does it very well in her Firekeeper Saga (very good novels in my opinion), James Patterson uses first person for the main character Max and uses third for the other characters when he switches; however, the only time he ever switches POV is when the group is separated by large distances, otherwise the POV stays with Max. In a story revolving around solely two characters in a relationship, the story changes between the two (though focusing on one) to create deep feeling for both. Timothy Zahn also switches between two POVs, but these two individuals are so different that their views and abilities that they make for very different scenes throughout the ongoing story.

Huh, seems my favorite books tend to shift POV. Hadn't really thought about that. I think they are very interesting. It can be extremely effective, if used properly. But if your entire story could just as effectively told from one POV, don't bother making it more than that. And here’s an important tip: Never change the POV in the middle of a scene. It's very confusing. Wait for a scene to end, chapter or otherwise, before even thinking about potentially switching. Other than that, I guess it's just a matter of feel. Really think about who should tell your story and when, and what kind of story you’re trying to tell.

Think about that, just what kind of story do you want to tell? A narrative driven story likely shouldn’t change POV, and have a bit more distant POV; at least my outlook. Character driven stories are the ones that generally change, though it is by no means mandatory. I’m not sure about the rest. In the end, I guess it just comes down to the story you’re trying to tell, the details come after that.

((Man I can really go off sometimes. Hopes this helped))
"In a fair fight I would have killed you."
"Well that's not much insentive for me to fight fair now is it?" (PotC: TCftBP)

I'm probably dead already, but that doesn't mean I can't take a few scumbags with me. ~Jak

Random avatar

Reviews: 25
Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:45 am
Nyconz421 says...

Good or bad idea to switch from first person to third person throughout a story. Like to inform readers whats happening with other characters while the protagonist isnt around. I'm doing it now and it kind of makes things flow more smoothly. Please answer!

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:26 pm
Lilith says...

I read a book once with multiple POV and it was actually really good. Of course, the names slipped my mind but what they did was, sense one girl was wild and one was very pristine, they used two different fonts.

Its just an idea I guess.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:16 am
Elelel says...

Well if you're talking third person have the character you're switching too do some action. Just being bored or something is fine. It just says who you're focusing on in an easyish sentence, as gyrfalcon mentioned, then you can get carried away with their thoughts.

But as to first person ...

WHY do so many people hate first person POV changes? If it's done well and clearly what's the problem? I say if you want to change POV in first person, go for it. And if you want to switch between first and third person, be my guest.

Xtenx said she didn't like the labelling thing, but I think it works fine. It's tough to randomly change first person POV and make everyone understand who's speaking. I don't think you can reasonably expect an author to pull it off every time they change. The writing would just get all stilted and forced for the changes.

Anyway. Writing is one of those creative things you can do what you want for. Like art. Nowdays art can really be anything, and it's really cool to see the kind of stuff people come up with.

Captain Correlli's Mandolin did something like that. There were third person bits, bits of a diary from one character and a few letters from a character to another. Other parts were just thoughts of a character, or in one case a monologue type thing where it said what that character was saying and thinking but nothing else that was happening (that was cool). It generally kept the same form for each character, so you got some idea who the third person would be talking about, and who writes the diary and so forth. I liked that book. I thought it worked.

Plus first person POV changes solves the first person fixed ending thing. First person people are free to die and the story continues! Magic!
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Tue May 08, 2007 12:24 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

Multiple POVs aren't 'bad', per say, but they can be harmful for your story if you switch too much in too little time. No one wants to hear Pete, Mary, Little Ann, Ray, Eragon, Superman, and Ann Hathaway to share their two cents in one chapter. NOR does the reader want you to make a big, dramatic deal about switching to a different character and then having Pete just say a sentence or so and black out. What's the use? Have Eragon observe Pete passing out and keep it longer.

I'm currently working on a story that's going to be very tricky, as I'm doing 3 (and maybe more, but not likely) 3rd-person POVs. This may get annoying, but it's necessary to get a full scope of the story.

And don't pay [much] attention to those who ramble on and on and on about Omnipotent/Omniscient, Third Person Single Vision and Multiple Vision, Objective, Pyschic Distance, and whatnot, alright? Just write the third, second, or first point of view how you've always written it. That way, it will come naturally and not in a forced manner, which will probably send the story halting and jerking forward.

Again...just do what feels naturally to you. Better to have 1283780234 POVs that actually sound good than 1 POV done in first person which you don't want to do.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

Please immediately cease and desist from offering Bob any more coffees with peppermint sprinkles. Thank you.
— SilverNight