z

Young Writers Society

Multiple POV

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:51 am
Snoink says...

Just wondering... is there anyone who has experience in multiple POVs who would like to give their two cents in?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:11 am
Fan says...

Try to change the POV in a sequence if it circulates between certain characters. It's extremely annoying if you enter one character's POV in a disjointed rythm. Try to change say every chapter, so the reader can get an update on what views character x has on what just happened. Try not to have too many POV (like a certain Robert Jordan). It slows down your story and it doesn't go anywhere while you inform the reader what the character has been up to.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:22 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Personally, while I change POV relatively often, I find that not using first person helps. That way I can start off with "Sharr looked around the room" instead of "I looked around the room" and the reader knows imediately what 's going on and whose POV they're seeing. Also, I always separate such POV jumps with a space or chapter break--that's a must!
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:42 pm
Writersdomain says...

Multiple POV'S :D

I change POV every scene in my story; it's all in third person, but it is all in how the character views and reacts to things. What is beautiful to one character, is terrible to another. Still, avoiding summary is a must; if you summarize everything that has happened thus far in a different character's POV, it's going to drag badly.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:49 pm
Ego says...

Attempting to do two perspectives, in Emergence; "Hunter's," and "not Hunter's"--First Person and Third Person, respectively.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:55 pm
Prokaryote says...

I've never done multiple points of view. But I think the question is whether the author feels capable of doing it. It would not easy, that's for sure. You have to keep track of every character's thoughts and emotions during the proceedings, and then write them accordingly.

By switching back and forth, you're also going to be sacrificing the reader's connection with one main character. That is, you're going to be spreading things thin over many people.

And of course, in certain types of stories, it simply won't work.

I think that it's a useful tool if you can utilize it properly, and if your plot absolutely needs it to function, then you have no choice, do you? But otherwise, unless it's needed, it's just the author's choice.

Prokaryote

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:53 pm
Goldenheart says...

I wrote a story with at least six different POV's. It was new and interesting to me, but later I thought it would confuse readers, so I switched to omnicient third person. Omnicient is a bit less personal, I think, and you have to get to know your characters by their actions, not by their thoughts. Knowing their thoughts is a big plus for character development, but if your readers are not the sharpest, they may have a hard time following it. I read a novel where the POV's changed, and it took me three chapters to figure it out. :) An author's note would have been helpful.

Anyhoo, that was my worthless two-cents.
"I hate the word 'Truce'. It means 'Fun's over'." ~My little sister

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:01 pm
Via says...

Multiple POV's is definitely a toss up for me. I like them in some books, but in others I think they distract from the storyline. Which is which? I have no idea. I just have to read it to figure it out I suppose.

Wow, I am no help. *shrugs and walks away*
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:13 pm
Leja says...

In my own experience, when I write with multiple points of view, it is always brief. As in, I'll write most of the story from Carla's point of view, but briefly between chapters, I'll maybe put a few hundred words from David's point of view. This way, there are still other points of view, but it (hopefully) doesn't distract the reader too much.

And again, there's times it will work, and times when it won't. For example, I just read Jodi Piccoult's "My Sister's Keeper", which switches point of view every chapter. At first I was annoyed because I have never liked books in multiple points of view, but as I read, I realized that multiple points of view was the only way to really tell the whole story.
Last edited by Leja on Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:24 pm
Emerson says...

I went nuts and started doing To Keep No Secrets in more than one POV. Not only that, it's in first. And then there is one chapter (and probably more to come) in third. XD I think I broke all the rules? Although they aren't really rules...

It wasn't that hard for me, because it was easy for you to tell which character I was with when I switched POVs, because my two characters that I'll be flopping back and forth with in first person are so different, and they perceive things differently. Plus I have the nasty habit of starting with dialog (It's easier) so it makes the POV change more obvious.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:26 pm
Leja says...

I think that's the most important thing, Claudette, that your reader can tell within the first few paragraphs what character is speaking. Otherwise it is confusing and frustrating, and the reader will lose intrest in the story.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:31 pm
Emerson says...

I think my readers get it, because when I changed the POV everyone said it worked out nicely.

Though with the one chapter that was in third person, I did get the comment that it seemed really out of place in context with everything else. But it makes sense to me, and the over all story, so It'll make sense eventually, lol.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:15 am
Prosithion says...

Stay in the same POV. Otherwise, it gest too confusing and the reader ends up going back rereading a part to find out how they missed the POv change.

ALWAYS use the same POV that you start with.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:47 pm
Pushca says...

If you attempt to do multiple POVs, all in first person, I will be forced to take out my hatred of Christopher Paolini AND A Separate Peace on you.

So don't try it.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:13 pm
Via says...

I think the only way to do multiple POV's effectively is to do them in first person. If it's in third person, you might as well stay in one POV and just have the narrator be omniscent. ..just my thoughts lol.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

When Larry King retires in 120 years John Mulaney should replace him.
— The Internet