z

Young Writers Society

Including (Extensive) Background

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:12 pm
Writersdomain says...

Well, I'm in a fix.

For my story (the duo - Flames and Tears of Lecraesa), I have written at least 30 pages of history (not within the story, of course) behind the land and the characters; it is all so complex, I find myself wanting to write entire books on past characters and such.

So, my problem is how much background to include. In Flames, I included very little background, mostly because the book is indirectly from Creiha's point of view and Creiha knows very little about the history of the land. But now I am in Tears which is told more from Lusien, who knows everything about the history of the land. The history makes everything that happens in Tears so much more meaningful, but I don't know how to include the background and how much background is too much. I've always hated it when authors launch into 10-page long accounts of history in the middle of the story. Any suggestions? :?
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:56 pm
Twit says...

Maybe you could have the characters say things which show some of the history, and then add an explanation afterwards? Or you could use devices like story-telling. I don't know if the world you're writing about is like the one I've made (I hope it isn't :wink: ) but I've had characters listen to stories that tell the country's history, and have people make references to past leaders. I don't know if that will help you.

You could do what Robin Hobb does, and at the beginning of each chapter put an extract from a book of that world which sort of explains a point made in the chapter. Sorry if that's confusing. :)

-Twit
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:49 pm
Meep says...

Well, you can always use the Council of Elrond™ trick, in which a bunch of characters get together and are talking about the past for quite awhile. It worked for Tolkien, it could work for you.
Of course, that's a little bit boring.

A lot of it would depend on Lusien's personality. If he's the reflective type, that will come out in his thoughts and his interactions with others. He might see history repeating itself, for example. He could comment on how this is like that time when, etc.
Of course, if he's the brash, impulsive, non-relfective type, I have no idea. :oops:
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:59 am
Elelel says...

Well, you could just not talk about it. Just getting characters to mention the stuff that would actually affect the current story. Bare minimum stuff. But if the history is important I guess that's not much help.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

You are strong enough to conquer this day and the rest of your life.
— Tuckster