z

Young Writers Society

Using B.C.E not B.C.

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:52 pm
Shafter says...

I hate political correctness. If people want to use B.C.E. and C.E., fine. But I think it's just confusing.

Sureal: Jesus' life did make an impact right away. And we have more historical evidence of his influence than we do that Julius Caesar ever lived.

Trying not to turn this into a debate, but can't let an error like that go...
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:44 am
xtenx says...

Jesus was born in the year 3 AD/CE..I learned that in my religious studies course last semester...I thought it was really interesting. I don't remember the reason why the timeline is set up the way it currently is with his birth moved back 3 years despite the historical evidence though.

Anyway, to get more on topic-

I completely agree with being politically correct because it's just not worth offending someone over something so trivial. BUT in this case I don't think it was necessary because Jesus is not just a religious figure but a historical figure, and there is nothing controversial about that statement. If you look at him as a historical figure of the time, it isn't such a big deal to use BC/AD.

But oh well. It's not a huge deal to me either way.
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:43 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Although I do think political correctness can get out of hand. Like you're not allowed to say "man-power" now because it's offensive to women. That sort of thing gets on my nerves. It doesn't offend anybody, really. I'm not too bothered, though, as long as I'm not forced to say something one way or the other.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:46 pm
Elelel says...

Political correctness is amusing sometimes.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:31 pm
snap says...

Sureal wrote:Snap: Actually, Jesus' influence wasn't really felt until later. At his time, and after his death, he still only had relatively few followers (hence the lack of historical info on him).

Also, it's not known when exactly he was born, so BC and AD aren't completely accurate terms anwyay.

Sureal,
Actually, he had a number of followers, although mainly in Isreal. News of Him didn't reach other parts of the world until later. You're right, they don't know exactly when he was born, that's obvious, but the beginning of AD and Christmas are estimates. As for the proof, read Evidence that Demands a Verdict, It's written by Josh Mcdowell, and he was originally an athiest, and on a dare, he set out to prove Jesus never existed. Instead, he found more nonbiblical proof that Jesus Christ lived, died, and rose again, than that Julius Ceasar even lived.
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:49 pm
Sureal says...

Actually, he had a number of followers, although mainly in Isreal. News of Him didn't reach other parts of the world until later.

What's with the 'actually'? You've just repeated what I said. He initiallu only had a few followers within in a local are, and it wasn't really until the Roman Emperor Constantine converted to Christiniaty on his death-bed did Christ's teaching really spread throughout the world.

Indeed, the very fact that nothing was written down about Christ for a while - even the earliest gospels of him weren't written till a few decades after his death - is an indicator of this.

It's well established that Jesus did indeed live, and there is only an extreme minority of scholars who would argue otherwise.

However, no hard evidence has been put forwards that Jesus was reborn. In fact, the first gospel to be written (can't remember which ATM) didn't actually include any information on Jesus' rebirth - his tomb was simply found empty - and his explicit rebirth was only added later.

Outside of Christian sources, historians have essentially no other evidence of Christ's life, so I contest the claim that there is more evidence for Jesus than Caeser. Heck, we even have a book written by Caeser himself, as well as numerous accounts of him in other historical records. This is not the case with Jesus.
I wrote the above just for you.

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:00 pm
Shafter says...

True, the gospels weren't written until a few decades later, but Paul's letters were within twenty years. We have four historical accounts of Jesus' life. And of those four, there are over 200 copies made within 200 years of His life, and each of those copies is nearly identical!

Also, Constantine didn't convert on his deathbed. That's a myth spread by The Da Vinci Code. He was a Christian long before that (even though he didn't act much like one... Constantine was an... interesting guy).
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:16 pm
Twit says...

Constantine was the one who was supposed to have seen a cross in the sky before a major battle, right? :roll: Crazy man. Power went to his head. :wink:
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:00 am
Nate says...

BCE and CE are still used? I remember when the History channel started using it about six to eight years ago, but they've already switched back.

I'm pretty sure it's pretty much died out now; haven't seen it used in years.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:44 am
xtenx says...

^^My history/religious studies professors taught me to use BCE/CE this year, so I don't think it's died out completely.
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

14 Reviews

Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:08 am
snap says...

Sureal wrote:
Actually, he had a number of followers, although mainly in Isreal. News of Him didn't reach other parts of the world until later.

What's with the 'actually'? You've just repeated what I said. He initiallu only had a few followers within in a local are, and it wasn't really until the Roman Emperor Constantine converted to Christiniaty on his death-bed did Christ's teaching really spread throughout the world.

Indeed, the very fact that nothing was written down about Christ for a while - even the earliest gospels of him weren't written till a few decades after his death - is an indicator of this.

It's well established that Jesus did indeed live, and there is only an extreme minority of scholars who would argue otherwise.

However, no hard evidence has been put forwards that Jesus was reborn. In fact, the first gospel to be written (can't remember which ATM) didn't actually include any information on Jesus' rebirth - his tomb was simply found empty - and his explicit rebirth was only added later.

Outside of Christian sources, historians have essentially no other evidence of Christ's life, so I contest the claim that there is more evidence for Jesus than Caeser. Heck, we even have a book written by Caeser himself, as well as numerous accounts of him in other historical records. This is not the case with Jesus.

ACTUALLY, (as far as I know, this word is not copyrighted), I think you need to check your facts. Right now, it seems like you like to hear yourself talk. You are aware that the DaVinci Code is fiction, right?

Before you post again, at least check spark notes for the book I suggested, for the evidence in it is all NONBIBLICAL. Might I point out to you that all of the authors of the four gospels died horrible deaths in defense of their stories. What kind of lie would generate that fierce loyalty?

Have you ever heard of Josephus? I suggest you do some research before posting again.
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

506 Reviews

Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:26 am
Sureal says...

Um, I've never read the Da Vinci Code...

And I also find the claim that I like to hear myself talk slightly offensive. And whilst we're here, I kind of have done my research, if I had not, my prior post would not have been so in depth.

However, you're correct that Constantine did not convert on his deathbed. My Classics teacher was wrong. He (openly at least) converted in his fourties. ^_^

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:40 pm
Wiggy says...

Dude. No. Flat out NO. I'm sorry if I sound a little, ah, forceful on this, but it's just STUPID. Why change something when it's been in use for so long? I mean, think of all the history books we'd have to change to BCE and all that crud?! What IS the common era anyway?

As someone said before, it's just too cumbersome.
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

506 Reviews

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:49 pm
Sureal says...

Don't worry Wiggy - nothing's being changed. BCE/CE is just an alternative to BC/AD, and doesn't have to be used. Although, having said that, I'm pretty sure a fair number history books use BCE/CE at the moment anyways.

14 Reviews

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:57 pm
snap says...

Sureal wrote:Um, I've never read the Da Vinci Code...

And I also find the claim that I like to hear myself talk slightly offensive. And whilst we're here, I kind of have done my research, if I had not, my prior post would not have been so in depth.

However, you're correct that Constantine did not convert on his deathbed. My Classics teacher was wrong. He (openly at least) converted in his fourties. ^_^

Well, I thik this debate has come to an end (finally). I'm sorry if it seemed offensive, but it was something that had to be said. It wasn't a personal attack, at least I didn't mean it to be. You did, however, disregard many of the points I had posted. As for being offensive,
What's with the actually? You've just repeated what I said.
~ Robert Cormier

Chickens are honestly little dinosaurs. And they know it.
— ChieRynn