z

Young Writers Society

To outline or not to outline?

Reviews: 0
Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:19 pm
Nagem says...

So, who writes outlines for stories? if you do, why. if you dont, same question. how detailed do you go in your outlines?
I'm not a very good writer, but I'm an excellent rewriter. ~James Michener

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug. ~Mark Twain

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:24 pm
Emerson says...

I used to outline. I did it because I would have the whole plot lied out nice and neat and it would help me when I reached "flat" points in writing, I would know what I was supposed to put there and work on it. I did it through general outline form, and I went into as much detail as I wanted for each section, maybe just a sentence, I would also [this was really only for my NaNoWriMo outline though] add self notes, like this: so-and-so dies here (Figure out how!!!!). Because I'd read my plot while writing things, and it would remind me where I had wholes in the production of it.

For my current novel, I haven't outlined, and I'm suffering for it. But I still won't outline it. I don't outline it mostly because I don't know enough about what is happening. I know the ending, but I know no middle. Which would be a good reason to outline it, you would think, but apparently not? I'm sort of going for the "Write it as it comes" method. I'll get ideas when they decide to show up, usually their good. But my story is suffering from a lack of action as well :-) It's suffering in general, from a disorder called First Draft.

I never write outlines for short stories... they're short :-P
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:23 pm
Meep says...

I never used to outline, and I still don't bother with short stories or role playing, but I think if I were to attempt a longer piece, I would outline it. I failed NaNoWriMo last year because I forgot where I was going with it, and I knew part A and part Z, but none of the parts in between.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:27 pm
Snoink says...

I outline... somewhat. I have an excellent memory, so most of the details stay in there, but I do write it out. Usually, I remember what I'm going to write and only outline for a chapter, either after I finish a chapter or before I start it. I'm silly. ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:27 pm
Shafter says...

Usually I don't outline, and I have paid miserably for it. That's why I'm on year three of working on my novel and still revising heavily. However, if I had outlined to begin with, the story would've been stupid. Just stupid.

So... outline if you're short on time (or if your mind works that way). If you have a lot of time to burn, try not. ;) My outlines for chapters go something like this (and it's in my head):

Émon's POV: Dream
Myron's POV: Meets Narvik
Eiamar's POV: Tunnel

I know which elements I want, but I leave the way those elements play out to my characters. I've known most of them for three years, so I have a basic idea of what they're going to do...

... most of the time. *glares at Traistal*
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:57 pm
Sureal says...

Not really. Setting, themes and characters are planned out before hand, as are some key scenes (including plot twists), but for the most part, I only think a chapter or two ahead in detail.
I wrote the above just for you.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:02 pm
xtenx says...

I never used to outline, but I also never used to finish anything.

I finished writing my first fantasy novel recently, and I did outline that before I began. I outlined what I wanted to happen in every chapter. So before I even began I knew exactly how many chapters there would be, which chapters would be longer or shorter, and who would do what in each chapter. By the time my outline was done, I had named every character, every town, every creature..it was really efficient.

I think it's helpful because it helps you remember everything, it forces you to know what you're writing before you start which prevents you from getting lost halfway through, it allows you to foreshadow because you know what's happening and when, it reminds you that there is an end, and it helps you remember details. My chapter outline for the novel was about 4k words, which isn't very long at all for a story that ended up being 83k.

My outlines, even though they're pretty detailed, are still flexible. For instance, halfway through my novel I decided to add a new character who turned out to be one of the most important people in the entire book- and I wasn't planning on it at all. So outlines are definitely useful, but not limiting, which is really important.

In addition to outlining the chapters, I also wrote a lot about the world in my novel- I laid out its history and kept those facts in mind as I wrote. I know so much about the world now- more than the novel reveals for sure. I also laid out character descriptions and histories too.

I just like to know everything about my work before I get into it though. It's effective for me. If you're the kind of person who likes to plan or who has to know what happens next before starting, then definitely outline. I couldn't have finished if I didn't know exactly what I was writing- and I know it wouldn't be half as good if I hadn't outlined. I honestly think it would have been random, scattered ideas without any depth.
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:08 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I do, although at the moment my series hardly has any plot info at all. I know the beginning, the end and very slight plot details in between. At the moment I'm just focusing on the world, and writing ideas down when they come. If outlining would make it easier for you, then I suggest you do it. I'm not particularly bothered with my plot at the moment, as I know the basic plot outline. I just want to concentrate on the world, it's cultures, religions, races, etc. to mould the rest of my plot around.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:48 am
Roaming Shadow says...

I outline...somewhat. Usually, a really cool scene or important plot point will flesh itself out during my mind wandering sessions. These scenes will often organize themselves into an outline. I really like to have an idea as to where I'm going, or I simply get lost. Once certain scenes are in place in reletive chronological order, I start writing, filling in the inbetweens with whatever comes to mind. Sometines I get stuck, spinning my wheels, and I need to back off and flesh out that particular in beteween with a bit of an outline.

However, it is not set in stone, not by a long shot. Scenes will get deleted, characters changed (usually mildly), scenes may only be altered, and characters not fleshed out often dissapear. The only thing that stays is the overall idea, the most basic summary. Seriously, you should see my outlines and notes. This way, I can see where I'm writing myself into a corner before I'm actually writing, and I can fix it with minimal frustration. This process usually exposes a particularly weak antagonist, which I will rewrite and revise numerous times before it sounds right, which makes ideas to work into the body, which may alter the beginning a tad... you get the idea.

Once all the big points are there and in harmony, that's when I writing. Unfortuantely, that also means that I've been working on a project for a few months on and off with hardly a word on paper. But, I'm almost there, and there will be a very minimum of headaches. Once I start, there will be little to slow me down (and I might just keep my sanity).
"In a fair fight I would have killed you."
"Well that's not much insentive for me to fight fair now is it?" (PotC: TCftBP)

I'm probably dead already, but that doesn't mean I can't take a few scumbags with me. ~Jak

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:37 am
Via says...

I typically outline my school papers....but not my pleasure writings.

Outlines are sometimes harmful because if you stick to one too rigorously then if you suddenly have an amazing idea it doesn't give you any slack to change the storyline.

Outlines are also helpful because if you don't have one, then you could get soooo far of track that your work turns into something almost undistinguishable due to all the random twist and turns that your brain has developed during the absense of the outline.

Aye, there the rub. :wink:
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

Reviews: 0
Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:25 am
hprules13 says...

I usually outline the basics of what I want to happen in each chapter, but I leave them in bullet form. I think the whole book has a better flow to it if I flesh everything out as I go.

I've tried not outlining at all before but it never works for me. I get a couple pages in and I just get stuck and always end up abandoning the project before its even halfway done.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:08 am
snap says...

I sort of outline.....in my mind. It depends on what I'm writing. If it's a short story, I know how it's going to end, and how the characters are going to get there. Frequently I will outline these. If it's a novel, I roughly outline. I'll know what is going to happen when, the major turns in the book, and so on. Then I'll work on what scenes I want in it, and work on those. When I've done all the scenes I want done, then I begin to stitch them together in the order I want, adding or subtracting as I see fit.

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:01 am
McMourning says...

For essays/articles, I make an outline. If I already have all my research done, it's usually very detailed and I end up just having to add punctuation to turn it into paragraph format. If I'm just going with the flow and writing what I know without research, the outline is usually just a skeleton, because my flow has a tendency to flow the other direction in the end.

For stories, I rarely outline. If I'm stuck on what to write, I sometimes might a rough sketch (outline) of the future. Then, I try to invent paragraphs that go with it.

But, Writer's Digest suggested making an outline in Excel, so you can change it easily if your flow changes direction.
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:53 am
JC says...

I only outline essay's. Mostly because I get sidetracked when I write serious stuff like that. But with stories and books I generally don't outline anything more than writing down important plot twists and stuff that I don't want to forget.
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:22 am
Prosithion says...

Never never never never never outline!!!!!!!!!!

If you do, then you'll be compelled to follow that outline specifically and your story won't have the room it needs to develop and grow! NO OUTLINES!!

They are very very bad!
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

I write because I don't know what I think until I read what I say.
— Flannery O'Connor