z

Young Writers Society

'Send' or 'send'?

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:02 pm
View Likes
Myth says...

When writing about keyboard/controller buttons would you have to capitalise the word?

Eg:

Tapping the ‘Send’ button [...] Aethel pressed ‘Forward’.

Or does it not matter?
.: ₪ :.

'...'

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:17 pm
View Likes
Via says...

Haha, that's a good question. I think I would capitalize it, because all the word buttons on a keyboard are capitalized and 'Send' is the buttons name--proper name? I don't know. I just think it makes sense to capitalize :D
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:58 pm
View Likes
Poor Imp says...

Hello Myth -

I've seen it written both ways, in more than one book. But I rather think capitalisation would be more correct; it also will make it stand out, as a key, not merely another word in the sentence. ^_^

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:48 pm
Meep says...

I've never used keyboard functions in a story-story, but when I've seen them used in technical manuals (like a how-to guide for a calculator), the key in question is written [in brackets], so "the shift key" is written as [shift].

However, a send button and forward button aren't normally keys on a keyboard ... I would go with lowercase, because they aren't proper nouns, although now that I think about it, the words on the buttons are capitalized ... so I was really no help what-so-ever.

edit: wait, now that I think about it, the keys in [brackets] are usually capitalized, so I would go with capitalizing them, even if they aren't in [brackets].
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:24 am
View Likes
Prosithion says...

I think it really doesn't matter. Use whatever is easiest.

I don't think that anyone is going to lookt hat closely.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

Knowledge is power.
— Francis Bacon