z

Young Writers Society

'Send' or 'send'?

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:02 pm
View Likes
Myth says...

When writing about keyboard/controller buttons would you have to capitalise the word?

Eg:

Tapping the ‘Send’ button [...] Aethel pressed ‘Forward’.

Or does it not matter?
.: ₪ :.

'...'

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:17 pm
View Likes
Via says...

Haha, that's a good question. I think I would capitalize it, because all the word buttons on a keyboard are capitalized and 'Send' is the buttons name--proper name? I don't know. I just think it makes sense to capitalize :D
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:58 pm
View Likes
Poor Imp says...

Hello Myth -

I've seen it written both ways, in more than one book. But I rather think capitalisation would be more correct; it also will make it stand out, as a key, not merely another word in the sentence. ^_^

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:48 pm
Meep says...

I've never used keyboard functions in a story-story, but when I've seen them used in technical manuals (like a how-to guide for a calculator), the key in question is written [in brackets], so "the shift key" is written as [shift].

However, a send button and forward button aren't normally keys on a keyboard ... I would go with lowercase, because they aren't proper nouns, although now that I think about it, the words on the buttons are capitalized ... so I was really no help what-so-ever.

edit: wait, now that I think about it, the keys in [brackets] are usually capitalized, so I would go with capitalizing them, even if they aren't in [brackets].
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:24 am
View Likes
Prosithion says...

I think it really doesn't matter. Use whatever is easiest.

I don't think that anyone is going to lookt hat closely.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

I say Wolf, for all wolves are not of the same sort; there is one kind with an amenable disposition – neither noisy, nor hateful, nor angry, but tame, obliging and gentle, following the young maids in the streets, even into their homes. Alas! Who does not know that these gentle wolves are of all such creatures the most dangerous!
— Charles Perrault