z

Young Writers Society

how to start a short story....

Reviews: 2
Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:00 am
RunnerGirl05 says...

hey, how is everyone? I'm doing okay. I just have a question about short stories. Hopefully you can give a little help. :) I want to write a short story, but I never have before, I have a general idea about what I want to write about, but I just don't know how to start. My gut tells me that I should just write whatever comes out and then go back later and edit and change things. I'm not sure about that though. Should I have a definite plot set before I begin and have all my characters set? If you write short stories, how do you go about starting them? Thanks for any help! :D
make a point to make no sense, well, here it comes. -modest mouse

-JEN-

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:39 am
Meep says...

In this case, I'd say follow your gut instinct. Get the story down and then go back and edit.

That being said, you really have to start short stories in the middle of the action, because they're short. You really don't have a whole lot of time to meander and get the whole backstory down before getting into the action.

I really like starting with a line of dialogue, but my writing is usually character drama, as opposed to action. (Which reminds me: the genre and tone of your story will have a big impact on how you write it.)

If you have time before starting this assignment to read some professional and amature short stories, especially those in your desired/required genre, I'd recommend doing so, even if you only read the first few pages or paragraphs.

(edit: I found the WikiHow entry on "how to write a short story," although you can skip a few of the steps, as you seem to have already done them. I'm sure if you Google it, you'll find a bazillion pages, some better than others, with tips on writing a short story.)
βœ– I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:27 am
Emerson says...

Moved to Writing Tips
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

the only theft here is of decency when carina decided to rob me of my pride and put me on a banana
— veeren