z

Young Writers Society

Fantasy writing tips anyone?

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:44 pm
monki_woman says...

Just wanted to know if anyone has any tips for an aspiring fantasy writer. I'm so stupid though. One time (about a month ago) I wrote a thirty-five chapter fantasy book on my computer, and I forgot to keep saving it, and the power went out, and the novel went bye-byes. I :cry: and I was very :evil: But, all in all, I learned a very important lesson. "If you want your novel to be published, don't forget to save." Yep, that's my favorite quote. So... anyone?
This Monki don't play-Don't mess with my puppy-She'll eat you alive-No really-She will.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:54 pm
Sureal says...

Common problems with Fantasy: cliches and info-dumps. Avoid both.

For those who happen not to know - a cliche is an over-used, unorigional idea. Info-dumping is when you give the reader lots and lots of information in a short space of time (often information about the fantasy world the writer wants to get in as fast as possible).
I wrote the above just for you.

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:03 pm
Shafter says...

I couldn't agree with Sureal more. It seems that fantasy is plagued with clichés and info dumps more than any other genre!

Whenever you see a cliché in your story, turn it on its head. For instance, in my first draft, there's a character who's 1033 years old and possessed a huge amount of power. In the first draft, he was your clichéd sage-- silver hair, black eyes, robe, etc. I just rewrote that scene, and now he looks about thirty, is neatly dressed, likes wine, and most definitely doesn't wear a robe. Don't be afraid to make fun of yourself!

And there's no reason to tell the reader the entire history of the Elven Race and how it relates to the Chosen One prophecy. Most readers are pretty smart; let them figure it out for themselves.

Third, love what you write. Love the characters, not the plot and the world you've created. Because it doesn't really matter how great the setting is; if the characters are boring, the story will be, too.

Hope this helped. Good luck! :D
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:09 pm
Ego says...

Think EVERYTHING through. If it doesn't make sense, scrap it or fix it.

Remember, the Laws of Physics still apply in a fantasy setting, they can merely be bent by the magic of the world.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:18 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

Stalk Limyaael.

No, I'm not kidding.

Find her, and stalk her.

If you find that just a bit quesy or morally reprobate, check out her Fantasy Rants: http://limyaael.livejournal.com/

MOOHAHAHAH!

The first thing you should remember about fantasy is that at its core it should be just like any other piece of fiction, and should be written that way. It's just like the X-MEN, it has SUPAHPOWERZ.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:24 pm
Emerson says...

*note* I haven't read anything above XD

If we could get a good list of links/articles about fantasy fiction, I'd be glad to make a sticky about it in that section, like I did for romance.

It's just like the X-MEN, it has SUPAHPOWERZ.
I did catch this though! *sigh* I missed your comments while you were gone-ness Cal! I'm glad you are back!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Reviews: 3
Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:19 pm
inkdragon says...

Sureal wrote:Common problems with Fantasy: cliches and info-dumps. Avoid both.

For those who happen not to know - a cliche is an over-used, unorigional idea. Info-dumping is when you give the reader lots and lots of information in a short space of time (often information about the fantasy world the writer wants to get in as fast as possible).

:oops: Guilty of info-dumping. Thanks for showing me the error of my ways!
[Insert nifty quote here]

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:23 am
extrication says...

Caligula's Launderette wrote:Stalk Limyaael.

No, I'm not kidding.

Find her, and stalk her.

I'm totally agreeing. Limyaael's rants help a LOT, and I read up on her vampire love story rants while developing my vampire Edmund. :D Plus, her rants just make you think 'hmm, where do I want to take this?' in a GOOD way. Therefore, my stuff isn't as sucky as they would've been, especially my fantasy stuff. :)
because memory moves in orbits
of absence, because she holds her hands out in the rain,
and rain remembers nothing, not even how it became itself.
- Las Ruinas del Corazon, Eric Gamalinda

Who wants to become a writer? And why? Because it’s the answer to everything. It’s the streaming reason for living. To note, to pin down, to build up, to create, to be astonished at nothing, to cherish the oddities, to let nothing go down the drain, to make something, to make a great flower out of life, even if it’s a cactus.
— Enid Bagnold