z

Young Writers Society

How to get more critiques

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:11 pm
xtenx says...

So you think you have a great story, but for whatever reason no one is critiquing. This is something I’ve noticed a lot around here- then the author might post again and ask why no one is critiquing only to get no response. You have 60 views, but not a single critique…Why is this? I can’t tell you for sure, but what I can do is give you some thoughts about it. As a reader, I typically won’t even read a story when an author makes the following mistakes:

1. Have you critiqued anyone else? When I see someone’s first post on the site is their own story…I’m less inclined to critique. Don’t expect something you’re not willing to give.

2. Is your story spaced properly? No one wants to read a giant blob of a story- just by simply spacing your story, you’re more apt to get readers. And if people are taking the time to read your work, you are likely to get that critique you’ve been wanting.

3. Do you beg for critiques? I personally find it annoying. It’s one thing to say in the subtitle line “please read and critique”, or even say it at the beginning or end of your post. But don’t post 3 times after your initial post demanding critiques. Give it time. Don’t expect a lot, don’t expect them quickly, and don’t expect those same people to critique every time you post. And don’t be a jerk about it- there’s no need to throw a fit. Be patient and polite.

4. Did you post 3 chapters in a row? That’s a giant mistake. Give people time to review 1 chapter at a time. What makes you think everyone has time to sit and read 3 long chapters and then critique them all? Give it a day or so before posting another chapter…or at least more than a minute.

5. Did you title your story? I know I personally don’t want to read something titled “read this”. It’s not imperative to have a title- but don’t write something ridiculous in the title line. Just say it’s untitled. Or sometimes people will put "chapter 2" in the title line- chapter 2 of what though? Put the actual title, not just the chapter number!
-Also, when the subtitle line is ridiculous (example: I wanted 2 post this 4 u to read plz!), I'm not even going to look at your story. You could have the best grammar in the world, but that title and subtitle are the first things I see.

6. Have you read your own story before posting? If you find it sloppy, we probably do too- always check your own work first. Spell check and proof read. Think about the kind of stories you like to read- is yours something you would read if it weren’t your own?

7. Is your story ALL dialogue? Stories should have more levels than that. If you have nothing to write except for dialogue, your story is in serious trouble. I know it’s easy to just have your characters go on a rant, but it’s so important to try to describe what they’re doing or how they’re reacting- if it’s all dialogue, it gets to the point where it’s annoying to read. I want to know what’s happening to the characters too, not just what they have to say! And when you are using dialogue, remember- you don’t have to use “said” EVERY time. Mix it up when you can.

----------

I haven’t been on the site for too long now, but those are some things that seem to be common mistakes. Also, I don’t mind reading stories that aren’t grammatically perfect- I’m not grammatically perfect either (which you can probably tell from this post alone). But when there are too many blatant errors, it gets to the point where I start to think “has this person ever read a story in his life?” The more you read, the more you pick up on the proper way to punctuate or the proper use of certain words.

Also- this is completely off topic- “anyways” is not a word. It’s just anyway. It’s a pet peeve of mine. :roll:

Does anyone have anything else to add? Those were just the first things that came to mind when I started writing this.
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:45 pm
Lilyy03 says...

Yay, good article! :D
The only thing I can think of to add--and maybe this is just me--is don't preface the piece by telling us what a friend, teacher, or anyone else said about it. Let the reader go through the piece on their own, and form their own opinion when they give you a critique.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:30 am
Cade says...

Another annoying thing is when people explain work. I usually see this in poetry. Like, "Oh, I wrote this when I was 12 so it's not great" or "This is about..." Don't excuse work by saying you wrote it at a young age or while you were drunk or depressed or something. Also, if you have to explain what the poem is about, you should probably be including it in the poem. If an explanation is needed, post it later, after you've received a few responses, and then people can give you advice on how to make it clearer. Crits based on a poem-with-explanation are really biased.

Colleen
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:56 am
Shafter says...

Kudos to you, Kristen! I agree with you totally. You too, Colleen. I think every writer feels an urge to explain away their work, to sort of "Aw, shucks" about it and hide behind the mask of self-depreciation.

Not that I'm referring to myself, of course. *Glances around to see if anyone believes me*

;)
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:17 am
xtenx says...

Thanks everyone =]

I definitely agree with your additions as well. I initial wrote this out of frustration, so I'm glad to see it's not just me...I would review soooo many more stories if people followed these basic ideas...

I can't help thinking that it's too bad- how many good stories go unnoticed because of simple things that could be fixed? So many authors probably have amazing ideas, but people won't even read because of simple mistakes.
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:57 am
Myth says...

I especially hate the title part, it is so annoying sometimes I don't even bother looking at those stories, later I find a lot of people like it. Also, sometimes the writer makes the same mistake or doesn't even thank you for your time. :roll:
.: ₪ :.

'...'

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:15 am
Emerson says...

Bravo, A complaint about beggers!

Sure, I didn't read the whole article. heh heh, but you make amazing points that *gasp* I'm surprised people can't figure out on their own. But some just don't know, tsk tsk. :-D

I try to critique those things that have '0' responses, or the critiques give are....lacking, I'll say? But sometimes, also, I stop midway because the work is so....again, we'll say lacking, and I have no will to even continue the critique. But, I'm lazy, oh well.

It's a big rule, people should get a grip around it: If you want critiques, critique for other people!!! I just cannot stand when I see someone going, can you please read my work, PLZ? in the chat room. I'm perfectly dandy with a, "Would you mind taking a look at my work? I would really like some help and I haven't gotten much/good/any feedback yet." politeness helps.

But if you never critique anything else, no one will read your work. Oh, and this one goes for poetry more than anything else really, if you get critiques and then completely refuse to take any of the advice given, and debate how your poem/story is perfect as is and that i wasn't meant to be *insert anything here*, expect to run low on critiques. If you aren't going to take the advice, don't even both posting.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:20 am
Snoink says...

Hahaha... now that I have less to no time, I will stop reading the story whenever I encounter a typo or grammar mistake. Well... maybe not a grammar mistake, but if it's repeated more than three times, screw the story. If you can't use grammar easily, you need to get a grammar book and go through each sentence individually until it's all good. And if you're too lazy to do that, then you automatically suck. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

493 Reviews

Reviews: 493
Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:19 am
Misty says...

Fantastic. Thank you.

*shifty eyed*

Although, I hope nobody has a problem with plugging people for critiques...if you ask someone nicely via PM, they will quite often critique it for you.

Or write you back and leave entries in your guestbook commenting on how weird you are...

What orators lack in depth they make up for in length.
— Charles de Secondat, Baron de Montesquieu