z

Young Writers Society

Did anything happen in that story?

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:37 pm
xtenx says...

So I recently finished the first fantasy novel in a trilogy I'm writing- it's not posted here (I'm really private about my writing), but I was wondering-

In general, how do you know if enough has happened in your story?

I'm really proud of what I've written, and I think it's exciting...but I'm also highly biased because it's my own work. There is no big battle in the end or anything like that. So I'm worried that if people read it they'll think 'that was okay, but what happened?'

I know it's not necessary to have a big battle in all fantasies, so I didn't think it was a problem...but then I got really worried that without the battle, not enough actually happened to make my story worthwhile. I have plans for 'the big battle' in the next 2 of the series, so I started thinking the first book may seem boring.

There's a lot of character development, setting up for the next 2 books, character bonding, conflict development...There are small fights and disputes. The problem is well established and it becomes apparent that a battle will be inevitable, but the battle doesn't happen.

I guess to summarize my question, what I want to know is: how do you know if your story is worth reading?
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:31 pm
Jennafina says...

I think each book in a trilogy should be good on its own, it shouldn't need the other two books to be fun to read.

Still, I'd rather read a book with great characters than a really busy plot line. As long as there aren't any moments when it's like, "wow, what's been happening in the last five chapters?" Just keep your characters active, and don't let the reader off their toes. Even if their lives aren't in peril the entire time, you can still put other things at risk; their happiness, relationships, etc.

I don't think all fantasy novels need a big battle at the end. :) You could talk a lot about how the characters are dealing with the fact that they will, eventually have to be in a battle. Or something.

I hope what I said makes some sense, lol.

-Jenna
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:09 am
Shafter says...

I hope fantasy novels don't need a big battle at the end-- because it doesn't look like mine's going to. ;)

But, to answer your main question:

I guess to summarize my question, what I want to know is: how do you know if your story is worth reading?

You know what, I don't think there's any way to know if other people are going to like it. But as for knowing it's worth reading, ask yourself this question: Do you care about the story? Do YOU like it? Because really, when it comes down to it, all that matters in writing is doing your best and writing for an audience of one.

If you care about it, and you put your heart into it, then yes, it's definitely worth reading.
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:37 am
Myth says...

I have only one novel with a 'battle' and it is fantasy. You don't have to have one just because every other fanatsy out there has a big battle and stuff.

If you like it then you should continue with it, see how the plot can be twisted so that others, if you ever wish to share it, will want to read and you'll see how good a writer you are. Battles are not always the things that people are interested in reading.

I don't always like what I write but other people do but there are things I change so that it keeps me writing without getting bored.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:04 pm
Snoink says...

I know with the fantasy I'm writing, there's going to be no major battle scene. It wouldn't make sense.

But that doesn't mean there can't be conflict. You have to have lots of twists and turns and stuff to make it interesting. And plot twists. We love plot twists.

Don't worry too much about it though. If you add the battle scene just for the heck of it, your readers will know, and it'll seem clunky.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:39 pm
Lilyy03 says...

Battles definitely aren't essential for conflict--the way some writers do them, they're just totally boring. :P Sometimes it's the smaller, more personal, less flashy conflicts that are the ones that can really interest a reader.

You say you have lots of character and conflict development--to me, that sounds like quite enough. If you find your story interesting, if you want to keep reading and writing it, I think that's the most important sign of your story being worthwhile. :)

I want to see people turn and writhe; make them feel things they cannot see and sometimes do not know.
— Anna Held