z

Young Writers Society

Punctuation in Dialogue

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:21 pm
Lilyy03 says...

(Most people here seem to know all these things cold, but for those who don't... If I've missed anything or made mistakes, please say so!)

Proper use of punctuation in dialogue can be tricky, since the rules are a little different than for, well, non-dialogue. ;) They're small details, but if you neglect them, it can go a long way towards making your writing look un-professional. Here are the basic rules:

1. Use quotation marks (" and ' are both correct) at the beginning (before the first word) and at the end (after the last word) of a quotation. Omitting them can make things very confusing for your readers.

Correct:
"We need more cabbages," said Susan.

Incorrect:
"We need more cabbages, said Susan.

2. Things like "she said" should be separated from the quotation with some sort of punctuation within the quote. In most cases, a comma will do. Don't use a period, though.

Correct:
"We need more cabbages," said Susan.

Incorrect:
"We need more cabbages" said Susan.
"We need more cabbages." said Susan.
"We need more cabbages", said Susan.

3. If your quotation needs to end with something other than a comma, such as a question mark, exclamation mark, dash, or ellipse, don't put a comma after them.

Correct:
"We need more cabbages!" said Susan.

Incorrect:
"We need more cabbages!," said Susan.

Also, it's generally not advisable to use more than one punctuation, such as "?!".

4. If phrases like "she said" go between two (or more) sentences of dialogue: end the first sentence with a comma, put in "she said", followed by a period, and put the second sentence (and the rest of the sentences, if there are more) on its own.

Correct:
"We need more cabbages," said Susan. "This vegetable patch is too small."

5. If phrases like "she said" go in the middle of a single sentence, it's slightly different: end the first part of the quotation with a comma, put in "she said", followed by another comma, and then the rest of the sentence.

Correct:
"If we bulldoze our neighbor's house," said George, "we'll have more room to grow cabbages."

6. If your character is going on and on, talking uninterrupted for more than one paragraph, don't put in the ending quotation mark until they're done. But at the beginning of each paragraph, put in a beginning quotation mark.

Correct:
"There is no greater thing in life than the cultivation of cabbages," said Susan. "Most people underestimate them. I, however, have learned the full extent of their many-layered powers.

"My first encounter with a cabbage occurred when I was but a toddler. While riding my tricycle, I was suddenly hit on the head by a mysterious purple orb. The awe it inspired in me continues to this day."

(But be sure that your character is saying something that's actually worth listening to ;))

7. If you're going to skip the "she said" and put some sort of action right after the quotation, end the dialogue with a period instead of a comma. But if you're going to write "she said, as she ____", use a comma as before.

Correct:
"We should bulldoze the neighbor's house." George glared across the fence.
"We should bulldoze the neighbor's house," said George as he glared across the fence.

Incorrect:
"We should bulldoze the neighbor's house," George glared across the fence.

8. Finally: when you're beginning dialogue, a new speaker starts, or beginning non-dialogue, start a new line!

Correct:
The couple frowned at their vegetable patch.

"We need to grow more cabbages," said Susan.

"We should bulldoze the neighbor's house to get more room!" said George.

Susan strolled back into the barn, a gleeful smile creeping onto her face.

Incorrect:
The couple frowned at their vegetable patch. "We need to grow more cabbages," said Susan. "We should bulldoze the neighbor's house to get more room!" said George. Susan strolled back into the barn, a gleeful smile creeping onto her face.

Hope that was at least a little helpful!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:07 am
Snoink says...

I love you.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:34 am
Wiggy says...

This is a moment worthy of remembering.

Thanks Lily! :D
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

If you run now, you will be running the rest of your life.
— Reborn