z

Young Writers Society

Do you have tips for writing Mystery

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:35 pm
Kitkat_1122_ says...

I just recently discovered that I love reading mystery books, so I thought I could try to write a mystery novel. So I was just wondering if anyone had any sudgestions to how to start, plan, and creat one.

Thanks,
-Kitkat_1122_

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:59 pm
Jennafina says...

Plan it first!

Mystery novels are all about clues, so you should know what you're leading up to before you begin.

Also, I think the best mysteries are the one where the conclusion is foreshadowed, but not in an obvious way. So when you reach the end, there's a moment of "Of course! Why didn't I see that coming?" Make your clues little things that most people would pass over on their first read of your story, but notice on their second.

Hope I helped. :)
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:26 pm
Lilyy03 says...

I agree with Jenna. The way you set up your clues is very important, so it's a good idea to have a pretty good plan of how your story is going to go. There should be enough clues, but they should be subtle--things that a typical reader would not piece together. Good climaxes/endings have the clues coming together in a way that is suprising, but not completely out of the blue. (I think someone who is good at this is actually JK Rowling, especially in the first 3 HP books).

Good luck!

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:49 pm
Wiggy says...

Jenna said all. :D

Good luck!
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:55 am
Kitkat_1122_ says...

Thanks. Now that I think about it, I'm probably start writing mystery after I got the hang of writing just a fiction novel.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:26 pm
Emerson says...

I'm probably start writing mystery after I got the hang of writing just a fiction novel.

It's always a good idea to start SOMEWHERE, right? Even if you start both fiction and mystery at the same time.

After doing some quick google searching, I found a few good sites you might want to look at:

How-to: Writing a Mystery

Top 10 rules for mystery Writing

Crime and Mystery

These are just a few, if you type "Writing mystery" into any search engine, you'll find so much more. Good luck!
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Why should Caesar just get to stomp around like a giant while the rest of us try not to get smushed under his big feet? Brutus is just as cute as Caesar, right? Brutus is just as smart as Caesar, people totally like Brutus just as much as they like Caesar, and when did it become okay for one person to be the boss of everybody because that's not what Rome is about! We should totally just stab Caesar!
— Gretchen Wieners