z

Young Writers Society

Do you have tips for writing Mystery

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:35 pm
Kitkat_1122_ says...

I just recently discovered that I love reading mystery books, so I thought I could try to write a mystery novel. So I was just wondering if anyone had any sudgestions to how to start, plan, and creat one.

Thanks,
-Kitkat_1122_

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:59 pm
Jennafina says...

Plan it first!

Mystery novels are all about clues, so you should know what you're leading up to before you begin.

Also, I think the best mysteries are the one where the conclusion is foreshadowed, but not in an obvious way. So when you reach the end, there's a moment of "Of course! Why didn't I see that coming?" Make your clues little things that most people would pass over on their first read of your story, but notice on their second.

Hope I helped. :)
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:26 pm
Lilyy03 says...

I agree with Jenna. The way you set up your clues is very important, so it's a good idea to have a pretty good plan of how your story is going to go. There should be enough clues, but they should be subtle--things that a typical reader would not piece together. Good climaxes/endings have the clues coming together in a way that is suprising, but not completely out of the blue. (I think someone who is good at this is actually JK Rowling, especially in the first 3 HP books).

Good luck!

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:49 pm
Wiggy says...

Jenna said all. :D

Good luck!
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:55 am
Kitkat_1122_ says...

Thanks. Now that I think about it, I'm probably start writing mystery after I got the hang of writing just a fiction novel.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:26 pm
Emerson says...

I'm probably start writing mystery after I got the hang of writing just a fiction novel.

It's always a good idea to start SOMEWHERE, right? Even if you start both fiction and mystery at the same time.

After doing some quick google searching, I found a few good sites you might want to look at:

How-to: Writing a Mystery

Top 10 rules for mystery Writing

Crime and Mystery

These are just a few, if you type "Writing mystery" into any search engine, you'll find so much more. Good luck!
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

I think the more you understand myths, the more you understand the roots of our culture and the more things will resonate.
— Rick Riordan