z

Young Writers Society

Senses

Reviews: 1
Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:26 pm
Fraai says...

Ok; a few years ago I went to see Hazel Edwards, I don't know if a lot people would know her, she's an Australian Writer...
http://www.hazeledwards.com/

Anyway, I remember one important thing she said;

That it's usually good to put a good variety of senses in your story, to explain:
* Feel
* Temperature
* Abstract (i don't really know what she meant by that one)
* Sight
* Sound
* Smell
* Taste

Different people relate to and think about certain senses more than others, for example:
If someone who thinks more through feel and smell in reading a story, they may not be amused by a story that just explains the sights of a story, if you catch the drift.
Why did the chicken cross the road?
Because he felt like it. Period.

.........{FRAAI.DEVIANTART.COM}

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:10 am
Prokaryote says...

Yes, this is good. The problem is when people overdo it in the wrong type of stories. Like if it was an action story, you probably wouldn't want to slow down to describe everything around the main character(s). You should be sure to pick-and-choose which senses to describe at that particular moment in time. As with everything, moderation is the key.

Prokaryote

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:06 am
Wiggy says...

Exactly, Pro. I also think it's important to incorporate all 5 senses into your story so people can relate from all angles, yet at the same time get a full sense (pun not intended) of the surroundings. Excellent advice!
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:16 am
Shafter says...

Erg! This is something I have a hard time with. I'm a very visual person, so I tend to describe the way things look. When my dad read my story, he asked me in everyone in the story lived in soundless, scentless vacuums! *Sheepish smile* So... yeah. I've been trying to add more sounds, smells, and tastes lately.

Also, don't forget the important sixth sense. I guess this applies more to fantasy, but it can be a great touch to the story.
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:28 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Hmmm, I talked about this in one of my Soapbox orations.

From Oration #3

11. What stimuli does your character most respond to?

Your character can respond to visual stimuli, but it doesn’t have to be visual, it can be other things. First, for a psychology lesson from Dr. Cal, people learn in different ways. There are three different learning styles: visual, audio, and kinesthetic or tactile. Although potentially people can be a combination of all three. There is usually one that you are strongest in. Because of this hierarchy of how you learn best, different things will be easier for you or not.

Visual learners remember written directions well, need to see things to learn them, are artistic, and have difficulties with just listening to directions.

Audio learners are very good at remembering what they hear, may have difficulties remembering things that they have read, also may have difficulties reading and writing. They also can find it hard to read facial and body language.

Kinesthetic learners are active learners, they learn by touch and movement. So hands on is the best learning for them. They also don‘t require instructions to assemble something, and can have difficulties if they have to remain seated for long periods of time.

But remember these are all on a scale of degrees. I personally am I kinesthetic learner first, then visual, then audio.

Take these learning styles into account with your characters.

So, characters can respond to all different stimuli, from all different senses. Maybe a character responds more to touch, the feel of their clothing against their skin. Another hearing is their strongest, they can pick out the different sounds around them. Play off their strengths and weakness in this while writing. Maybe a character talks lot about how things taste, or smell.

Laters,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:58 pm
Kitkat_1122_ says...

Yes details like those are important, however I remeber my Language Arts teacher tell me that you are only suppose to describe things in detail when something important is happening. For instance if you are writing about how your characters are about to go on a trip to a near by town, you shouldn't describe their breakfast in great detail, unless something important happens that pertains to the plot of the story.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:20 pm
Emerson says...

I need to work on this problem.

I don't appeal to all of the sense; I think out of the most I abuse smell because (as you mentioned) I'm not greatly influenced by smell. More by Site. Adding little simple things like these can really boost your stories feel.

And "abstract"? I'm not sure what she meant either, I can't think of anything you could describe that is 'abstract' maybe thoughts/feelings?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:42 pm
Lilyy03 says...

Oooh... Interesting. I don't really do too good a job of incorporating all of them either. I think I mostly do the predictable sight, sound, and temperature.
Though, a while ago I considered writing a story about someone who rapidly goes blind--that might be good practice for expanding the senses I use.

I'm not sure what she means by "abstract" though... Maybe not exactly thoughts, but more gut feelings/the emotional atmosphere?

We are all broken. That's how the light gets in.
— Ernest Hemingway