Young Writers Society

Proof Reading

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:46 am
Emerson says...

The Importance of Proof Reading
By: Claudette

This is something that a lot of newer members tend not to pay attention to. But it’s something that I take quite seriously!

Before posting, read your work two or three, even four times over if you must. Try to catch any typos, spelling or grammar errors you can find. That way, we critics don’t have to do all the work for you. I’ve noticed a lot of newbies posting with so many errors! And I constantly find myself saying, “You should read over your work a few times…” and it really is important.

If you’re new, and I go to read something by you, it’s a little off putting to see typo after typo, which could easily be picked up by not only spell check but a quick read through. Having a nice, clean, typo free (to the biggest extent possible, even I have typos on occasion!) will make a good impression.

So, consider looking over your poem, story, or even post a few times before hitting that submit button. It could save us a lot of trouble! ;-)
Last edited by Emerson on Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:27 am
Cassandra says...

Here here, Clau!

But the problem doesn't just lie in new members, I'm afraid; some other writers who have been around for a couple of months tend to rely on the critiquers to catch their spelling mistakes as well. Not cool, guys!
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:32 am
Trident says...

Clau, you're right. It is something I take quite seriously. See! Proof reading.

To be honest, I don't correct typos anymore unless they are not obvious (a different form of a word, etc.). Why? That's the writer's job. If you want your work to look like a piece of junk, then so be it. If a piece is too riddled with errors, I won't even bother to read it.
Perception is everything.

2058 Reviews

Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:37 am
Emerson says...

*grins* Thanks for that notice, Trident.

I often screw up quite, quiet, and quit for some reason when I am typing, and its not something my eyes pick up.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:29 am
xtenx says...

I'm still new here, and one of the things that drew me into this site was that generally people don't post with terrible grammar even in their regular posts. I was expecting at least decent grammar in the Literary Boards, but not everywhere on the site! I normally put a lot of work into the grammar of my stories, but not in a normal post. Seeing so many people posting without too many errors makes me put more time into my own posts. And when I see someone hasn't taken the time to look over their post or story, it definitely turns me away. I understand little things, but sometimes the mistakes are pretty obvious!

I definitely agree, grammar makes a big impression, especially on a writing site like this. When I see a critique that is better written than a story, it isn't appealing.
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:38 am
Myth says...

This is something I do more often these days. I read my work at least four times and even then I sometimes miss out obvious typos. But when it comes to critiquing I have a 'sharp eye' as some call it, I'm afraid my sharp eyes don't help when it comes to my own writing.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:29 am
Esmé says...

I quote Myth here, lol. When I reread my own work I tend to see what I want to see, that is what I wanted to write initially, lol.

What vexes me is the 'i' instead of 'I', no apostrophes, etc. It gives the impression that the writer wrote it only to get it done, as fast as possible, and didn’t put much effort into it.

Ha, though I admit, I’m not crystal clear either. lol :)

-elein

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:31 am
Myth says...

eleinasari wrote:What vexes me is the 'i' instead of 'I', no apostrophes, etc. It gives the impression that the writer wrote it only to get it done, as fast as possible, and didn’t put much effort into it.

That's awful, I hate that too.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

2058 Reviews

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:28 pm
Emerson says...

Well, our eyes are sometimes built that way too. Reading over something familiar makes it harder for us to spot the errors.

We might have the word "on" written, but because the word we wrote there was one we see "one". This happened to me in my last piece XD

Not to mention the strange effect of being able to read anything so long as it has the first and last letters in place, and the others mixed around. situpd. Could you read that? Probably.

The human mind is weird...

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:04 pm
Wiggy says...

I hate when people don't use complete sentences, or they use runon ones that should be two separate ones. *spouts flames* It's soooooooo frustrating! I try my best with grammar, but as everyone has said, we all slip up, and I know I have in the stuff I've posted. Not that I've posted a whole bunch. lol
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:41 pm
Dream Deep says...

Good advice, Till. Cass makes an excellent point as well, about even older members not looking over their pieces very well before submitting...

*hides "Majestic & Waiting* beneath table*

;)

"You're wrong about humanity. They are your greatest creation because they're better than you are. Sure, they're weak, and they cheat and steal and destroy and disappoint, but they also give and create, and they sing and dance and love. Above all, they never give up."
— Metatron